What is the best way to prepare a preschooler on moving.

My son and I are moving. We have lived in this area for 2.5 years. All his friends are here, and my best friend, his "aunt". He says he is o.k. but then he tries to take everyone with us. How do I make this easier on him?

sandbuster

Asked by sandbuster at 7:41 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have moved with my girls more then I care to count. I got books about moving there are some good ones out there. We read those a lot, have a good bye party to have one last good time with those he really loves. Say good bye to everything he loves. Have him pack up his most special items (that aren't traveling with) so he knows they are coming and make sure he knows that all the stuff in the house is coming. On our first move my oldest was scared our house hold goods weren't coming, so she got to watch to movers pack our stuff, this helped her feel better. If he can see the new place take him, let him explore before all the boxes get there, find as many of his old favorites in the new neighborhood. Plan a visit with his "Aunt" or Skype with her so he knows she is still there. If you can let him choose his bedroom, and maybe a way to decorate it (my girls love the wall stickers) that will help.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:05 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• To continue. He isn't going to be happy about it. So be there while he grieves, make sure he knows that it is ok to be sad and that you will miss the people and things too. Then remind him of the new things he got excited about. And help him meet new friends, this always helps my girls. Once they have new friends, they are generally good. GL
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:08 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• he will be fine- kids , epsecially little ones take moving pretty well...if you don't make that big of a deal out of it (negatively) he will be fine.
    Give him a couple weeks and try to make it fun for him

the older they get the harder it is....
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:04 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• give him time. Have a going away party & take pictures for him. Good luck!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• we are military and we move about every 3 years, and honestly we mak it fun, and they allknow that it means new friends, new school, and a new house ( which is always fun to decorat their rooms!) They are 7,4,3 and 1 and all love moving!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• there's nothing you can really do to help him until you actually move. You can let him know that he can meet new friends when you move, and that the people he loves can visit, or you can visit them
    Not.So.Virginal

Answer by Not.So.Virginal at 10:03 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• explain it as best you can, and move on. there's nothing you can do or say to chan ge that he will be happy or upset about it, so you may as well just move on.
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2010