If you traveled to Canada or Mexico, what do most people there talk about? Are the conversations similar or different than here in the US?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Travel

• We were in Cabo San Lucas last month, generally speaking they were worried about their economy, and talked a bit on how the American economy impacted theirs (tourism down, people not spending as much, etc.) There was no anti-American sentiment that I saw/heard, we were treated very graciously. The only ones that were talking about American politics were the other American tourists, I think that the Mexicans either don't care, or find it a little funny that we complain about our democratic society.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I've been to Vancouver multiple times, and the conversations are pretty much the same as ours.

The weather, the local sports teams, whether they'll ever get such and such road repair done, where they're going on holiday, who has the best sales, political scandals or lies, inflation, education, crime....

Barring the fact that whole milk is called "homo milk" and whole wheat bread is referred to as "brown bread", measurements are metric, everything is labeled in French and English and that Canada has $1 and $2 coins instead of bills, not really all that different.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• The politics are very different in Canada and so is the system of government, so conversations about those may be different. For example Canada has no Tea Party and does have Universal Health Care . Otherwise, day-to-day considerations such as family, education, crime, work, sports and leisure are similar as they are in many countries.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I'm from Canada! I have been to the states and Mexico. It is pretty much all the same kidn of talk, just different accents ;)
    isabellem

Answer by isabellem at 10:09 PM on Dec. 11, 2010