how can I help ds clear mucous?

Poor ds just got over the flu but now he is stuffy and has a phlegmy cough. Most likely post nasal drip. He is 2 and still doesnt understand how to blow his nose (we try to practice). A humidifier is in his room, the head of his mattress is slightly elevated, I offer him lots of water...any other suggestions? It's his throat area I want to assist the most since the phlegm seems to be in that area

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 8:56 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• little noses salene drops work really well if he will let you put them in his nose. My son is 2 1/2, hes actually a pretty good blower, but when his nose gets really stuffy and dry I give him a warm bath and then wipe his nose and it really helps. Also if you go to your pharmacy they have childrens mucinex cough syrup that they will tell you that you can give him but the dosage will be less then whats on the box, they can tell you how much and how often to give it to him. Good luck, I hope your little man feels better soon...it stinks when they are sick :(
    LindsayLL2010

Answer by LindsayLL2010 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Have you tried vapor rub (they have it for infants) Or try the vapor bath
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 9:08 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I give my son Mucinex to help thin the mucous. I am pretty sure that you can use it for a 2 year old, but call your pediatrician. I've never seen side effects, and if you give them Mucinex & lots of water, it really helps thin things out. You can get it in powder packets (sort of like pixi sticks) or liquid.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Saline drops.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 7:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2010