Do you distribute gifts evenly on Christmas?

I have a 4 year old and an 18 month old. Even last Christmas when my son was only 8 months old I found myself keeping count of how many gifts each child gets. Doing the same thing this year. My hubby says not to worry about it because they are too young to understand, which is probably true lol But it just seems that if one child has more than the other, then obviously one of them is going to STILL be opening gifts while the other is sitting there watching. Maybe I am just OCD about it or something but I feel the need to keep it all fair and even. What about you ladies?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 9:15 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Holidays

• I don't match dollar for dollar but I do match gift for gift & I have a set amount so if I have to buy 1 smaller cheaper gift to make it even I will
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I keep the monetary amount even, not the number of gifts. I feel that kids shouldn't think that everything should be even all the time. That is just setting them up for disappointment later in life.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think your DH is right, they are too little to be competitive, and one may open fast, the other slow, and then play with the wrapping.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:25 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yeah I don't bother with that and my kidsare 19,18 &17. I spend about the same amount of money on them. But my oldest only ever wants one present so this year I am really gonna just get him that one present.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I try to keep the number of gifts even, but it's really not possible for me to keep the dollar amounts the same (kids are 15, 13, 13, 11, 3).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:25 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I use to do the same thing as well, but my children were much older, when I started it. I have 5 children, ages ranging from 32 to 16, and now I have a grandson that I spoil like crazy, and he is 3. But what I did was give a price on how much I was going to spend on each child, and of course the older they were, the more expensive the gifts were. So I had to teach them that as they got older and asked for certain things, it would cost alot more. So, just because they didn't get the same amount of presents to open, they had to realize that Santa had to make the evles work harder for their's..
    queendoreen48

Answer by queendoreen48 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• i'll match dollar amounts but not what i buy and wrap things have different prices and if the ages have a good gap that can make a difference on how much bang you get for ya buck
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 9:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My kids are 3 and 5, I buy 3 gifts per child, 1 gift to share, and then stocking stuffers.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• when i say i'll match dollar amounts i'll give like my teens the same amount of cash in their hands for them to spend, not what i spend overall i go crazy doing that and then i'll buy the teens other gifts as well as the smaller child and of course they all have the stockings filled
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 4:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• At that young age they don't understand the concept of cost and I'm sure your 18 month old is not counting presents..lol. When they are younger you can get away with spending less and buying less. Last year my youngest was 2, he got alot of nice gifts but they were so much more cheaper then my older kids gifts. My oldest this year is 8 and and some of the things she wants are expensive, so I told her that she has to understand that she might only have 3-4 gifts and her brothers may have more because her things cost more, she said she understands.I try to spend about of money per kid, the gift count will vary.
    Sunflower722

Answer by Sunflower722 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2010