Diastasis repair during c-section

I am most likely going to have a second c section and am done having any more children after this one. Yesterday at my OB appt the doc mentioned possibly being able to do the c section, tie my tubes, and repair my diastasis recti all in the same surgery. This sounds awesome because it would make it only one surgery vs three but I'm wondering if any of you have ever heard of this before i can't find much on it online. Thanks!

kfey2

Asked by kfey2 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• what they'd pretty much do to fix it is a tummy tuck...hell i say go for it :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yeah thats what I was thinking. Plus most inssurance won't cover repair (tummy tuck) but if they do it during the section it should be covered as a needed procedure. And my diastasis is bad it stayed like a fist wide after my son was born so I don't see it getting better on its own.
    kfey2

Comment by kfey2 (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• your doctor can mark the "charge sheet" a certian way where insurance will cover it, as long as he sees it as a needed thing then most insurance will cover it GL i hope everything works out for you
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:51 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• They sew your rectus abdominis (6 pack mucsles) that have split...far from a tummy tuck!
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 10:11 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• oh gah don't listen to her, she obviously hasn't been in the situation or been around ppl who have(i have...i used to work as a nurse before i had my daughter) anyways... A full tummy tuck is necessary to repair a diastasis recti. During a full tummy tuck, the surgeon can expose all of the rectus muscle so that it can be properly repaired.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:56 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• No, a full tummy tuck is not required! My sister had a diastasis repair during her c-section. No tummy tuck performed at all. Must be a few different kinds and we are not thinking of the same.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 10:23 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• AH I see what you are saying. I understand that if they do it during the c-section it won't be an actual tummy tuck.. They can't remove excess skin as they don't know how much will actually be excess. If you try to get diastasis repaired outside of during a c-section though the only surgery anyone talks about to fix it is a tummy tuck, and that is not covered by most insurance.

my whole question was if anyone had heard of this being done during c-section, does it make recovery harder etc. not whether it is actually a full tummy tuck when they do it during c-section. If it fixes the gapping hole in my abdomen wall that will be enough and I'll just have to hope that my skin is elastic and doesn't have a bad flap. lol I would rather not have to get a tummy tuck let alone pay for one but I do know that I will want to have it (the diastasis) fixed at some point.
    kfey2

Comment by kfey2 (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would highly recommend physical therapy. We had one woman come into our P.T clinic to help recover after her c-section/diastasis. We taught her correct abdominal exercises which she found extremely helpful. Ask your doctor about it. Good luck.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 2:13 AM on Nov. 22, 2010