Potty Training Ideas for a Preemie Toddler??

My daughter was born at 26 weeks and now is two. I'm trying to potty train her and having no luck. She's not interested. Any ideas?

pudinangel

Asked by pudinangel at 1:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wait until she is interested. This is not an age issue. Some full-term kids aren't ready to learn this complex process until nearly 3. Some don't master it until nearly 4. It has nothing to do with intelligence either. Some of the smartest people I know were late learners. They were too busy learning other things or too stubborn to give in.

Leave the little potty in the bathroom but don't use it. Just have it there.
    When you change her, ask her if you wear a diaper. Ask her if you wear panties. Ask her if you use the potty. Tell her that someday she will wear panties and use the potty too.
    Get a couple of picture books about little girls learning to use the potty and read them at storoytime a couple times a week.
    Let her watch you go. Let her flush the potty for you.
    Keep it low key and casual, no pressure. Just keep it in the back of her mind until she is ready.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My son was born full term, and he is only occasionally interested in the potty, but he loves to flush it for me! I as told that can help interest him, because he'll then want to flush for himself. Be very patient, as some children just don't care about potty training until later than we'd like (after all, diapers are stinky and expensive!). Once she starts showing interest, encourage her without pressuring her. For now, take her with you when you have to go and let her do the flushing if she wants. Buy her some "big girl underwear" and let her wear them over her diaper. That's what helped my stepdaughter, but she wasn't fully ready for 24-hour panty wearing until she was nearly 4 1/2 years old.
    Anonymous

• I remember with my now 6 yr. old her pediatrician assuring me that by 18mths. they are back on track with their age group. But you can't rush potty training. Show her the concept, praise her when she is interested and be PATIENT. The average age for fully potty trained kids are around three. And that is just the average. A good tip I remember getting with my first daughter is consistency. After drinking, first thing in the morning. And when you go to the RR take her with you and put her on HER potty. Good luck All the other "teachings" come much easier and faster than the "potty" one. I think. LOL
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• she wont do it till shes ready.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2008