My father died almost four years ago...

my mother is 80 and I'm only 35. What I'm getting at is that although I hope she's around till I'm old and grey, this may not be the case. If you've lost both your parents, even if you have kids and husband, etc., is there anything that ever fills that gap?

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:42 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• 7 years ago my parents were taken from my family by an unknown gunman during a bank robbery. There is NOTHING that will EVER fill that void.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• 2.5 years ago I lost my Step Mother (april 2008) and 2 mo later my father died (june 2008) She was only 43 and my dad 49. I was only 24 and my little (half) brother was only 10. That was the hardest time of my life losing 2 parents & then becoming a parent to my brother. My mom is still alive & well. But even 2.5 years later it is very hard to deal with. There really isn't anything that fills the gap but having a close family helps. Of course my real mom is still alive so that helps for me but I know that doesn't really fit in your situation. I am very close to all of my dads family & we really support each other & my husband is a huge support also. I know this really probably doesn't answer your question but all I can really say is that it does get easier but the hurt never goes away. I think about my dad everyday and sometime I even say it out loud (when I am alone of course) an I tell him I love him & miss him.
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 9:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I lost my father to liver cancer 6 years ago( 2004) I watched him go from 300 some lbs. down to 96lbs. It tore me up really bad because me and my dad were very close.I was at his bed side when he took his last breath. The following year my mother passed away from cancer of the neck which spread to her brain.She had slipped into a coma 3 days prior to her passing and I was by her side the whole time. I was still an emotional wreck from my fathers passing so when she passed it just added to it all. Nothing can or ever will fill that gap in your life but over time it will hurt less and less.To this day I still cry on their birthdays, the day they both passed,and the holidays are really tough sometimes but with good friends and family around I get through it. I have a picture of them both up here by my computer and somedays I even talk to them both because I know they are both watching over me and are always near
    Elaine1960

Answer by Elaine1960 at 10:10 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Both my parents are gone now. I miss my mother more than I can say. I can accept it more now than when it first happened (2009) but it still makes me so sad some days. Enjoy every minute you can with your mom.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I'm sorry. My father died when I was only 22, and my mother died when I was 35. I have four kids and husband and two dogs. It does get easier with time, but never fully goes away. The holidays are tough for me since both my parents died during that month. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing they are watching over all of us and we will reunite again some day. I have to believe that. Good luck.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2010