crib?

My dd, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to like being enclosed in her crib..i took the bumper(on the one side that faces everything) off hoping that that would make a difference, and it's helped but she still seems to not like it..I've started taking the same side that lowers off during her naps and just putting a big blanket under her and folding it over so she cant roll of the bed, which she loves..but what can I do to make her comfy and not cry everytime i put her down? She'll watch a movie when the side's off and fall asleep like that, but wont with the side on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son sleeps best in his pack n play since he can see through the mesh. if you have one its worth trying.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 1:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Keep in mind that the crib is the safest place for her for the next few YEARS.
    She will need to learn to sleep with the side up before she can pull herself up. Otherwise she will tumble out.
    She will need to learn to fall asleep without the TV. The noise has been shown to disrupt sleep patterns in anyone, not just babies.
    You will also need to take all the bumper pads out before she can pull herself up. They can be used as a step stool - again increasing the risk that she will tumble out.
    You don't say how old she is but she is most likely protesting be left in a boring room, alone, to sleep when she would much rather be playing with you. She will protest many things in her life. This is one of the firsts. Yes, she's a baby. But she's also quickly learning that screams of protest and rage get her what she wants. At some point you will have to force her to unlearn this lesson. When? That's up to you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• She's not protesting kacee14, she's very well capable of falling asleep by herself..so excuse me if my dd likes the openess of it all. And as for the bumper, it's ONLY on the sides that are against the walls.

We live in an apartment that you can hear through the walls, so I'm sorry if I'm not one of those parents who are going to let them cry it out right now, because I don't want DHS called on me.
    Anonymous

• Many studies have shown that watching TV right before sleep disruptus sleep. Sleep is SOOO important for babies, it is when their little brains grow! TV is also shown to have negative effects on children under the age of 2, at any time of day. That is why the American Academy of Pediatrics says NO TV before the age of 2 years.
    I've known other families who never used a crib. She doesn't HAVE to sleep in a crib. You can take the mattress out and put it on the floor so that she can't fall and get hurt. Obviously you have to make sure there is nothing she can get into if she starts moving around without you knowing.
    How about rocking her or laying with her until she falls asleep? You can lay with her until she is asleep and gradually leave a little bit earlier each time until she is falling asleep on her own.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• But here's the thing with that, if I rock her, which I usually wind up doing, she's awake as soon as I put her down in her crib..and if I lay with her it's in our bed, which again she's awake when I put her in her bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• con'td, and when she has a movie on, it's through a vcr so when it's done, it automatically rewinds and shuts the tv off too
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:33 AM on Nov. 5, 2008