what is the normal going rate on in home childcare

hello i have a quastion my husband seems to think i should charge more i am taking care of a 2 yr old boy now i go to there house at 7 am and watch him till 3 or 5 depends when dad gets off now i also sometimes well most time bring him back to my house its about 8 miles one way but i bring him to my house beacuse well i have more things here to keep him entertain especially with my own 3yr old son she pays me every friday 100.00 bucks is what i make a week so am i doing wrong should i be getting more then 20 bucks a day and if so how do i ask for more i dont wont to lose my sons playmate hes a really good kid to watch very easy to care for what should i do.

jaxmom32208

Asked by jaxmom32208 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Money & Work

• I guess it just depends. I used to baby-sit a 6 week old baby. Her mom was my husband's Gunnery Sgt and her husband was a First Sgt in the Marine Corps. My husband was only a Cpl so we know they made like 10 times more than us. I had Jas from 6:30 until 5:30 everyday and she paid me $125/week. That really didn't feel like much but I loved watching her and daycare really isn't that expensive around here. I would get rates from daycares in your area and base it off of that, maybe making it lower than what it is in a proffessional daycare.
    Anonymous

• I think if you provide the kid food or anything extra, it is totally justifiable to increase your rates. Say, "due to rising costs of food, electricity, etc. I am raising my rates to $125/week. I have researched other daycares in this area and find this to be a competitive, if not very competitive rate." Everyone knows inflation is up, you are totally justified in getting paid more than a measley $20 a day!
    Anonymous

• I paid 100/wk for childcare when I had my daughter and when we opened a home daycare that is what we charged too. We chose the $2.50/hr because that is what the state paid for daycare assistance where we were from and didn't think it would be fair to charge regular pay families more or less than what we took for state pay. I would start by looking at the state pay rate for your area and see if you are charging much more or less than that.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• thanks for all the info yes i provide food all of that when i bring him to my house i live in florida i am just a stay at home mother trying to make a little extra income an it gives my son a playmate during the day my hubby says im not making what i should with all the things i do with him both his parents work his dad makes like 12 buck an hr she only brings home almost 300.00 aweek but between the both of them they make good money i just dont know if i should ask for a raise or what and how to without loosing the job.
    jaxmom32208

Answer by jaxmom32208 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• i also clean her house and do laundry when i stay at her house to watch him if that makes a diffrence
    jaxmom32208

Answer by jaxmom32208 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I did licensed daycare for 9 years so you can contact me if you would like to.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 1:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• You're getting right around the going rate for child care...any daycare around here is anywhere from 100-110, unless you go private and top notch
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 2:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Wow, i pay more for that a week for part time daycare. I am paying $57 a day. AND you're cleaning, doing laundry and supplying food - I'd ask for a little more money.
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 2:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2008