• In the Spotlight:

Strange Dream Last Night & Now A Question

I dreamt that I was part of a small business that made butter called "Purity". Actually, it was a group of Pagans, from different paths, that created the business. Things were going well for years, until one day it was found out that we were Pagan. It was the usual "up in arms" by some people, indifference from some, and others embraced us. It got me to thinking though...

1. Would you be influenced to buy items from companies who share your beliefs?

2. If you found out something you've been using for years, that was great quality and price, came from a business that did not have your same beliefs, would you stop buying from them?

3. Do you think items should be labeled according to religious/spiritual beliefs, similar to the "Kosher" labels for Jewish people?

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 10:14 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i would not be influenced by that, especially if i already used
    but, if the religion did something against by morals-like used children to produce, forced labor, arranged marriage etc
    things over the top of norm to society then yes
    but this does not describe most religions but more cult like
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:18 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't believe religion should play a role in what I buy, unless it is a religious item I'm buying.
    I don't care about religion when buying items, unless religious related. I would not stop buying from a company simply because they have different beliefs.
    I think it would cause more trouble than it's worth. Religion is a personal thing, and should not be publicized.
    However, if a certain religion is harming others, such as child labour,etc., then I will not buy from them.
    NightPhoenix

Comment by NightPhoenix (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Depends...I mean if I all of a sudden found out that one of my favorite products was actually made by a "KKK" company, I would stop that purchase asap.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:20 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I follow the Holy Spirit's leading.. but no I usually don't. God redeems anything and I have no need to boycott anything. That is saying i fear ... and I don't fear. I choose not to be controlled by that. It would give opportunity to pray for the company instead :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• i don't think it should have to be labled, but it may or may not influnce my shopping. It would depend on the actual religion they followed. I am not going to stop buying things made by christians, but if I find out that it is not any christian group but it is Westbro or the founders of Jesus camp than yes I don't care how good it is or how cheap I am going to stop buying it.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• If I enjoy a product AND they contribute to my community (whether that be my community of "believers", my geographic community, or what have you) , I would be MUCH more likely to continue to support that company with my purchases. If they believe what I believe alone, I don't know, that might influence me but, it really depends.

Quite frankly, when I'm thumbing through the yellow pages & the business has a Jesus fish in their advertisment, I'm probably going to keep looking, unless they were personally recommended to me. When I see that, to me it says they are advertising to their own people, I'm not their people. Now if it's a culturally or religiouslly specific item I'm going to prefer it from those of that culture or religion.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 2:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• It would not influence me one bit I still remember when people where saying that the owner of P and G was a satanist I was like so what and that means what you expect me not to by tide or something if the product is good i will by it and that is that
    madwoman41731

Answer by madwoman41731 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I like to purchase products from companies whose philosophies are similar to mine. No animal testing, ecofriendly and generally good for their workers and the environment.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 5:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I make purchases from people that fall into the guidelines of what I consider Christian, as well as those who support causes that I do. If I find that you're a supporter of dog rescue, I will buy from you because some of your money will be spread to a greater good. If you're not a Christian, it might be spread to rescue, cancer research, or homeless....
    I won't buy from someone that I know is an outright scum.....but those folks can be of any faith....
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 11:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• It wouldn't matter to me. The products they make are obviously good quality, so why would I let something petty like different beliefs keep me from continuing my business there?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:22 AM on Nov. 22, 2010