4 year olds selective hearing problem

Ok i know most of you have had this problems with children of all ages. But im at my breaking point with my daughter who just turned 4 in October. I constantly tell her to do or not to do something and it seems to go in one ear and out the other. I even have her repeat what i say to see if she is paying attention. Is there an alternative way on getting her to pay attention to what is being said by me and others?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When you need to say something to her, call her name VERY loudly so she hears you get on her level look her right in the eye and then say what you need to say. and afterwards say, Do you understand?

my nephews do this and we all have to use this technique. lol
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• What works with my son is putting on our "listening ears", it seems to work wonders! Especially if he actually puts his hands up to his ears like he is putting on an extra pair. Good luck! :)
    scaruso08

Answer by scaruso08 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Also tell her what you want her to do instead of what you want her not to do.
    Keep your hands to yourself or hands in your pockets, stomach etc (whatever works)
    instead of "Don't touch"
    use a soft/inside voice rather than don't yell
    keep your things toghether/neat/put away instead of don't make a mess.
    A class in college once put it to usthis way : there seems to be a switch in kids ears/brain that just refuses to hear the "don't and not's" (or -- I swear -- turns it into an exclamation point) so when we say "Don't jump" they hear "JUMP"
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2008