When should I take a 13 lb turkey out to thaw for Thanksgiving?

...and how do I do it? Do I put it in the frig, or let it sit out during the day & put it in the frig in the evening? I know it will take a couple of days...
Forgive me this is my 1st tukey I've ever done & I'm nervous!!

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 10:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Allow at least one day of thawing for every four pounds of turkey. So a 13 pound turkey would take a little over 3 days.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Thaw
    Whenever possible, refrigerator thawing is best. However, if you are short on time and need a speedy method, try cold-water thawing. Do not ever thaw a turkey at room temperature, as this allows for bacterial growth and is never recommended
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• depends on how fast you want it to dethaw. i would pull it out and put it in the frig sunday and if by wednesday it isnt thawed i would sit it out. but if it fairly thawed ten just leave it in the frig til your ready to prepare and then when ready put it under cold water as your pull out the giblets and rinse it well. this will also help thaw the inside the rest of the way if still a little frozen.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:29 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• On monday you move it from the freezer to the fridge and on tuesday put it in the sink. wednesday prep if to for cooking and before you go to bed put it in the over at 150 degrees. let it start cooking at this temp overnight and well into mid day on thanksgiving, then jack it up to about 300 degrees and you will have the moistest, yummiest turkey on the planet.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:27 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Here's the Butterball website

http://www.butterball.com/tips-how-tos/how-tos/thaw

Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• On Sunday, in the fridge with something under it, like a large bowl or pan, to catch the water. Do not ever, ever let it sit on the counter for more than two hours, if you do, it could make everyone sick. Also, do not ever cook at less than 250 degrees, that's also a safety issue. It may be that it has worked in the past...but it's a big risk to take.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:57 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I would take it out Tuesday night and put it in the fridge.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:03 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I'd put it in the fridge on Sunday, and possilbly let it set in the sink on Tuesday, if it's really hot in your house, then I'd say to move it to the fridge so you don't food poison everyone.
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 11:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2010