baby sitter

why is it so hard to find a babysitter so my and my hubby can go out every once in a while.? what happened to all the teens that would jump at the chance to make a few extra bucks? we dont have any family nearby so its not like we can just take them over to grandmas and we live in a smaller town so there isnt any type of drop service. so other than the regular daycare which dont watch kids past 6, its so hard to be able to go out and have a date nite with my dh. there was an ad up for someone dong babysitting but when i called it she wanted 20$ per hour per kid. thats 40$ an hour! thats more than the day care charges around here! ive put up an ad at our local grocery store and have asked around our church but with the majority of our church being seniors i havent had any luck. i just would like to go out and have an uninteruppted conversation and dinner with my husband why is that too much to ask for?

laura970

Asked by laura970 at 10:25 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• agree!!! and i know lots of teens.. but they dont want to do it.... i was babysitting 3-4 times a week before i got a job making ateleast 20 a night... these kids are crazy!!!
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 10:28 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Have you asked anyone at the daycares if they would be willing to do this after work for extra bucks?
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:29 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• $20 per kid per hour ...... which planet does she live on cos it sure aint earth. Its even more horrifying when you know they are not even trained in child care. You wanna go out for a night say 3 hours at the least, maybe 4 hours. For 2 kids that would work out at $120 - 160 for the night. That's more than some make in a whole day.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 10:38 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• :( that sucks. i dont get many date nights with hubby either, we just suffice for watching a movie and having popcorn, curled up on the couch together after the kids go to bed. hope you find someone worthy and not too expensive soon. good luck!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:29 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• in the past when i was using a daycare they wouldnt even consider takeng them after hours. which i kinda dont blame them they are stuck with kids all day but it still sucks.
    laura970

Comment by laura970 (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• thats what im saying! so 120$ plus whatever you did for an evening you would be talking at least 200$ for one date nite.
    laura970

Comment by laura970 (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• We don't have that kind of problem when I live. There are so many teens around and there is always someone available to babysit anytime! I'm lucky!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 10:55 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I worked in a daycare center back when I was 19 and going to school. I watched kids after hours and on weekends to earn extra under the table money. Ask some of the workers personally, not the center itself. :) I do in home care now and won't take one after hours or on the weekends for things like date nights though. As far as teens go, I think you're right, there are less teens out there to sit anymore. We know several but they just aren't babysitting material quite honestly. I think they'd spend the time glued to their cell phones or just aren't attentive enough. We had one that was good, but she got into a serious relationship with a bad boy and trust for her went out the window. :( I'm starting to doubt we'll ever find a new sitter.

I can't believe there is someone out there charging $20 an hour!
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• You might try www.care.com and www.sittercity.com I found my two part time jobs that way. The closer you are to a city the more care providers will be posted. Search by zipcode. Commnicate through the website initially and don't give personal numbers until you might have a match. Ask for background checks and even fingerprints being done if you want. I had mine done for one of my families. Good luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• college kids are always looking to make money... put up ads at the grocery stores/gas stations that are near a college or you can even put an ad on a board in a college commons area
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 6:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2010