Does anyone clean houses on the side?

I am wondering if this would be something I could do and I use Shaklee products in my home so I was wondering if I could offer a "green" cleaning service. I just don't know how much to charge, if I should get licensed/insured, should I charge extra for certain services, etc. I want to put my kids in day care for 2 days a week so that I can get a break and they can get some socialization and I was wondering if this would be something that I could do to help pay for it. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

lorihadams

Asked by lorihadams at 1:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Money & Work

• I think offering a "green" service would be a good way to set yourself apart from other cleaning services. I would make up different "plans" and rates for these...like a standard basic package, a bigger package where you do windows, etc and offer some "add ons" for an additional charge. Wouldn't be bad...you could kind of hand it to them like a "menu".
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Lori, most housecleaners make $35 an hour so it could be very beneficial to you. Offer $70 for 2 hours of cleaning, you may have to put in a few more hours in the beginning to get their house in shape. My cousin and I are with Melaleuca and she had a house cleaning service come to her home and charged her almost $250 for 2 hours of cleaning with 4 women, so that was $80 per woman or $40 an hour, not bad. Since you will be using your own products, you can advertise that on your flyers or business cards! Good Luck!
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 1:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I cleaned houses for years with my mohter who owns her own cleaning business. She makes on average $10-$15 an hour in the begining but because she charges per job as she learns the house and gets faster she makes a little more. I can't imagine a "green" business would be that much better selling than one that's not. I've never known of a cleaning business that took their own cleaning products. Everyone here expects the homeowner to provide that stuff...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• i think $70 for 2 hours is unrealistic for an "on the side person", maybe for professional services, but i cleaned houses on the side and charged $10 hour, extra $5 hour for special request services, I loved it and my clients loved the price so I was always called back
    Anonymous

• I clean a house 2-3 days a week,its 5 bed 5 bath I clean the baths once a week keep trash empty wash windows,well you know the whole smear! I get 10 an hour no more,they provide the cleaning materials.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 9:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2008