How often should my 3month old be sleeping/waking up to eat during the night?

My 3mo old son is still waking up every 2.5-3 hours at night to eat. What can I do to get us both more sleep time? I'm exhausted! Should I try rice cereal? If so, how much rice per formula in a bottle?

Natalie2727

Asked by Natalie2727 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A 3 month old's digestive system cannot handle rice cereal.....A baby does not need solids until they are six months old. And as far as I'm concerned, the idea that it will make them sleep longer is an old wive's tale. There isn't much you can do to get your son to sleep through the night. Night waking may continue with a child even until they're 2! Get used to it, this is what you signed up for. Try taking naps during the day with him, or whenever you can.
    Anonymous

• My daughter started sleeping through the night by the time she was 4 month,so hopefully it'll happen to you too!! GL
    Tanitka

Answer by Tanitka at 1:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• if you want to give your baby rice cereal it won't hurt. (still talk to your doctor) My baby has been on rice cereal since he was 3 weeks old due to acid reflux and he handled it well. You could try to keep late naps in the afternoon shorter, and putting him down alittle later like 10 or 11. That worked with our son. When he wakes up just try to hold him off from eating for 30 min..and increase alittle every couple of nights...thats what our doctor said. Good luck
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 2:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• First off how much is your baby eating every feeding? Every baby is different so your child could just not be ready to sleep thru the night I've heard babies who didn't start sleeping thru the night until almost there first birthday and sometimes even longer. Just be patient. Luckily my son started sleeping thru the night at 2 months but like I said EVERY BABY IS DIFFERENT. Like the first writer said take naps with you little one that always helps with sleep. Also a routine every night is what helped with my son. He eats every night at 830 takes a bath puts on his night time lotion and is in bed by 10 and sleeps until 6 and sometimes even 7.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My 3 month old goes to bed at 12 she wakes up around 3 to take a bottle and sleeps the rest of the night until around 11 in the morning. All baby are diffrent try power feeding that's what the doctor told me to do with my 3 month.
    1Lilly

Answer by 1Lilly at 3:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• in contrast to the first answer, i started feeding BOTH my kids rice cereal at 3 months and they have no problems digesting, old wives tale my a@#. yes it did help them sleep. i never put it in a bottle, just made it really thin, and didnt give them alot.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Your baby should be waking up as often as he needs to.
    No, you should not be using rice cereal.
    If you want more sleep then co-sleep.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• If your little belly was as big as your baby's fist, you'd be hungry more often too! Babies need to feed to grow, and sleep to grow and that is just part of the deal. I read in American Baby about two minutes ago that some babies start sleeping through the night some where between 4-6 months, but don't count on anything! They are all different. I would NOT give them rice cereal, it is an old wives tale, and your babies digestive system is just not equipt to handle that yet. Your baby is waking because they need you, this time is too short, eventually your baby will be sleeping through the night.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• You didn't say if you are formula feeding or breastfeeding, either way get some help! See if a friend or your SO can give feedings so that the load isn't all on you. Pump sister if you are breastfeeding ( I am exclusively BF, and baby boy WON'T take a bottle) I feel your pain, but I also have a 4 year old who has decided that he doesn't need a nap and my baby doesn't sleep when my 4 year old sleeps, so unfortunatly I don't have much sympathy for ya!... :) LOL
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My son is 12 weeks and we have been putting a tea spoon of rice cereal in his formula for a few weeks. He was on nutramigen and it was just going through him so fast he needed a little sustinence, and it didn't hurt him. Now it doesn't seem to help him sleep all night. he still gets up ever 3 hours to eat. Last week he slept 4 hours between feedings one night, then 5 the next and almost 6 another, then this week it has been back to every 3 hours. Babies can start solids at 4 months if their digestive track can tolerate it. When I had my son a few months ago I asked my brother when my nephew (3 and a half years) started sleeping through the night......to which his answer was "I'll let ya know" LOL My nephew still wakes in the middle of the night and no matter where he is sleeping he ends up in their bed. I learned to just feed him in a next to dark room, don't talk to him, burp him and lay him back down after he is relaxed.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2008