Do you think its appropriate to have a baby shower for second plus child?

Here is the deal, I have 3 kids. I have a 12 year old girl a 6 year old boy and a 16 month old boy. My family never celebrates for baby showers and so I never had one, but now I have almost all the gear and lots of boys clothes but need stuff for a girl. Since I gave all my stuff to my cousin for her kids I need a few things still, and I miss the idea of not ever having a celebration for the new life. I really dont want gifts and stuff we have always been okay with hand me down and cards exc... but I thought this is my last one and for the first time I want it to be fun and a celebration that we can enjoy. Should I just throw a get together and say its to celebrate the pregnancy? Is that something people do lol?? Like I said I could use some stuff diapers exc lol like all babies but I am so fine with just the idea of haveing fun with this and no gifts. What do you all think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't see anything wrong with it. Some people think it's tacky, but whatever. You could always include in the invitations that gifts are not necessary, this is just a celebration =) I'm sure there will be people who will bring a little something anyway. One thing I suggest is doing a diaper raffle. If your able, go out and buy a $20 (or more if you prefer) gift card to Wal mart or Target so that anyone who brings a pack of diapers can be entered into a raffle to win the gift card. I had a small shower for my 2nd born and made it clear that gifts are not necessary but that we would be doing the raffle for anyone who is interested. I did end up racking up on diapers =)
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• It's called a Sprinkle. And there is nothing wrong with having a Baby celebration for each child. After all, that is what it's for...the child, not the mother.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• why not its nots like you have any young girls so a party is needed. and go ahead and register but i would keep it to stuff like diapers and clothes, stuff you need or just give a list of stuff that you might need and let them know that it doesnt have to be new stuff and a gift isnt nessasary but will be appreciated.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think that would be great- especially since you never had a shower before. Just say it's a baby celebration and I'm sure everyone will bring some kind of gift whether it's big or small- have fun!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• The diaper raffle is a very neat idea and I see no problem with having a baby shower for the 2nd or more baby. Each one has a right to be celebrated.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 10:42 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think your party would be fine. One since never had one plus you do need things. Maybe a shower or even just an open house like you do for graudation. Send out invitions, baby cake and food and decorate with baby decorations. And I see nothing wrong with the gifts and might and I do not think wrong to maybe add a list of things you still need since already have kids so people know what you need yet.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 10:43 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Well in my family we go all out for babies. So it is a yes.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:43 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Have the shower! This is a celebration of life! I never went for the idea that you have to limit the number of showers because of how many children you have. While it is true that you can have hand-me-downs from your previous children, every baby still needs diapers, wipes, bottles, milk, washcloths, shampoo and the list goes on. So have your party, get some wonderful gifts from your family and friends and don't feel guilty because it's your 4th baby. Enjoy the day and your baby!
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 10:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• ive never thought multiple baby showers were tacky, because you're not throwing it for yourself (which would be tacky imo) but for the baby. this baby is going to need stuff. i like the idea of a baby celebration =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• we are military andmove allot, so we have had 5 showers! From different people! GO FOR IT!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2010