The art of mis-hearing! lol What songtext did you get totally wrong and how long before you found out?

I'm reading a little book about the "art of mis-hearing". It's mostly about german children songs, I can't really translate. But there are a few other funny examples, too. One woman used to like the tune of HOt chocolate's "You sexy thing" and for years she would clean the house and sing "I believe in knuckles. Where you from, you sexy thing? " lol Without even thinking about it. Another one interpreted Madonna's "La Isla Bonita" as "Louise the bone eater".

Do you have anything like that?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 11:05 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Entertainment

• When I was a kid the song "I've Been Working on the Railroad" the part where they say "strumming on the old banjo".....I thought it was "strumming on the old man Joe"!! I don't know if anyone even remembers that song, but I only found out the real words recently....how embarrassing!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Oh yes. For a long time I thought Jimmy Buffett's Volcano song was 'I don't know where I'm gonna go with my dog Figero'.

When the Flashdance song came out, my mom kept giggling over the line 'Take your passion'. She thought it was 'Take your pants down and make it happen'.

Lol.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:11 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Oh there has been a few......my cousin got wrong and I had to correct her!

Spandau Ballet's..."True" .....she thought "this much is true" .............was " this lunch is true".

Go-Go's song," Our lips are sealed"..........she thought was "Honest I feel".

Thomas Dolby's... She blinded me with Science.......she thought was," She blinded me with silence!"

I'm sure I did not catch a few but I can't think of them off hand, those are the ones we laughed about for a long time.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 11:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• 'there's a bathroom on the right'

there is a bad moon on the rise
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:11 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• lol That Lady Gaga's song "Just Dance".. i swear it sounded like she was saying "I gotta doo-doo.. JUST DANCE..." I dont know if i'd call this the art of mis hearing or just me having a goofy and immature moment lol But listen to the song... Now that i've pointed it out I bet you'll notice ;)
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• The only one I can think of off the top of my head was "Hark, the herald angles sing" when I was little. I thought the lyrics 'With the angelic hosts proclaim" was actually "with a jelly, hosts proclaim."
    Your post reminds me of a couple of books I bought a while back. You might enjoy " 'Scuse me while I kiss this guy and other misheard lyrics" by Gavin Edwards and also "When a man loves a walnut and even more misheard lyrics", also by Gavin Edwards. Some of the drawings to go along with the misheard lyrics are hilarious.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 11:35 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yes, there is one that is bugging me. It sounds like he says "stuck my eyeball, stuck in replay" or something like that. What is that song. It makes me crazy.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I had the GO-GOs "Our lips are sealed" wrong too. I thought it waa " Alex the Seal" when I was younger.
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 1:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Gimmie the Beach Boys to free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock 'n' roll and drift away.

Gimmie the beat boys to free my soul
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Lady GaGa's song "Love Game" a friend and I both misheard "Just bust that kick (or stick, that's been debated lol)." We heard, "Just bust that dick" the first time we heard the song, so we searched for it. Some lyrics sites said "kick" and some say "stick."
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:31 AM on Nov. 21, 2010