Ever see kids behave so badly and was so horrible and disrespectful that if it was your own kid you would spank. But then you notice the parent walk over and wag there finger and say "that is not nice go to the corner." Then ten min laster the kid is doing the samething but is worse then before?

What would you do if it was your own kid?

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 11:11 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• All the friggen time. My kids would get spanked right there and then, and then put into a corner at the store. Luckily my kids never acted out like that.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:13 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't spank. I think it's barbaric and shows ignorance, intolerance and a bully mentality so spanking would upset me more than the parent ignoring the bad behavior which is recommended rather than battering a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My kids know when they are in trouble. An action deserves an appropriate reaction. Wagging a finger doesn't make an appropriate reaction.

I just chalk it up to lack of parenting.
    If I send my kids to the corner, they know I mean business. this stops the behaviour.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:15 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• no i dont spank, i take them aside and explain what they are doing is wrong and if they cant behave the corrrect way they will no longer be allowed to come with me some where.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• sounds like you have seen my child

i am a finger waver, but do not send her to corner-she would not "get" that concept
    she hs autism and gets on a path and can not get off, i describe as wearing blinders-like horses weaar-makes them look in one direction only, has something in mind can not stop her target, has to do it, very hard to get her off that path once she starts

i try the distrct tactic, used to work better, but she is three plus now and really has a mind of her own (an autism mind-remember) so i do not react as a mom of a healthy minded child would

remember this when you see a child behave badly-that child may have autism-mine does
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:16 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• i have seen this before yes. my children were taught to behave well at home and out in public. i have only had a few instances with my oldest when she was 2 she liked to run away from me because i was really pregnant and had a hard time chasing her. other than that they play well with others at the park, share and don't throw fits at the store. they were taught to say their pleases and thank you's. it's really not that hard to teach them manners, simply say "say please" "say thank you" and they will repeat it and learn what they have to say when they want something. how they behave is a reflection of how they were raised.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• if talking dosent work and spanking dosent work then we leave.. no matter what we are in the middle of doing.. i wont be made to look like a shit parent becuase my 4 year old want a a toy and xcant have it
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 11:18 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My degree is in family social service and psychology and this is the biggest debate there is out there.. my personal beliefe is there is an age were spanking is out of line but to me spanking is simple patting on the but or smacking their hand and telling them no, but you MUST explain to them why it was wrong in order fro them to learn not to do it again.. by age two this should stop and trying the corner or the one we like is sitting on the bed in the corner and not being able to look or touch anything.. and if they get up they have to stay longer.. it works... no child should be disciplined without being told why they are.. they can't learn if you dont help them learn
    jturner46

Answer by jturner46 at 11:20 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• one of her therapists said when in store and she has autism outburst, leave store, put her in car seat wait until she is calm and go back in to try again
    before we go into store, i say " no yelling, no crying", if she does we do the out and back in thing, so she can have prectice at behavoir in store, stores are hard for kids with autism, BRIGHT lights, lots of noise, many voices at once, so many things all at once to look at=this overs stimulates her brain, she can not take any more stimulation so she "melts down" NOT HER FAULT
    i have had people(all women-lol) say to me "WHAT is WRONG with her" i used to say she is two, but now after PhD give his report, i can say
    .."she has autism, and has senosry processing disorder which includes transsition issues, loud sounds, visually over stimulated, all the voices talking is too much since she can not process language like other kids"..but this is hard when i am holding her
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I had to babysit my cousin. I swear he could care less about rules. I made him stand in the corner, back against the wall in a sitting, like in an invisible chair position, for every year old = minutes in corner. He got 10min like that. He was crying by the end, but I swear if i had less patience I woulda had my foot up his ass.

But that worked for him, I know it sounds unusual, but he was burning energy while being out of the way, and when he was done he just played with his other cousins and now, that was a few years ago, I'm the only adult he listens to. Well besides my mom, but my mom is the pull your ear type of person.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:27 AM on Nov. 20, 2010