Why are so many people against spanking?

I can see it as something bad if the parent it yelling and calling them rude names and not explaining why there are being spanked. But if you tell them in a firm voice that what they are doing is wrong and they continue then your spank its fine. I atleast explain to my children afterwards why they got spanked..

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 11:15 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Different strokes for different strokes. Niether belief is wrong and neither is right.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:17 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• i just think its wierd to think that you should cause physical pain on your children. they are just children. they cant help if they dont listen sometimes, & etc. There are much better ways to discipline. spanking is traumatizing and teaches violence.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:19 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• i believe it is wrong. i will never spank my child, my dh on the other hand has different ideas so i hope i can persuade him
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• because some people think spanking is beating the SH!@ out of your kid. But if it's just a spank, a real spank, I'm not against it.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:20 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't think its wrong at all and that is because I have seen children that were spanked who are the most well behaved and respectful children I have ever seen. Then the time out kids always act up and misbehave I don't see how it is affective at all ( go sit in the corner til you learn your lesson) then there doing the same thing over again.. I noticed after being told and if it continues a spank and it never happens again.
    Claudiomom

Comment by Claudiomom (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Actually there is NO proof that spanking is traumatizing and teaches violence. I've known kids who weren't spanked who were violent little brats, I've know kids who were spanked that were very respectible and well behaved and VERY close with their parents. But I've also seen the reverse. So it's not the actual act of spanking that shapes a child behavior, it's everything else in between. What works for one child doesnt' always work for the next. But people are going to be judgmental either way. The parent that doesn't spank is considered lazy while the parent that does is considered barbaric and abusive. It's really sad that people need to make those assumptions to justify themselves
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• lets ask women if they Love to be spanked or beat or slapped or pinched or hit with a shoe.. then lets ask them if they do it to their kids.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• spanking is a punishment and NOT discipline. It's assault that teaches them nothing but that mom & dad have a bully mentality and are not educated enough in parenting skills to be able to deal with a situation without emotional tactics of striking a child. They learn that hitting is ok and they will continue the cycle with friends, their own children and even their spouse when they grow up. Discipline is different. Discipline shows the child the incorrectness of their behavior and an acceptable method for correcting that behavior. Spanking shows no coping skills, no way of dealing properly with the situation. It's anger NOT a teaching tool.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• You kids, your choices. I used to get spanked (like once or twice a year, but still) and I turned out fine. My daughter gets spanked (like once a month or less because she generally behaves) but she's the happiest child ever!
    Some people are against it, good for them. Some people spank, good for them. Every parent knows what works with their own child.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 11:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• LOL I love the anon comments.. Thumbs up to you people! YOur awesome what kind of mentality do you have to turn around and talk about someones parenting skills? If a child is spanked its for a good reason not out of anger but out of love.
    Claudiomom

Comment by Claudiomom (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2010