Glasses for a child under 2?

My daughter started going cross eyed when she was tired, I read online and asked about it here -- brought her to see a pediatric ophthalmologist and was told she is far sighted, plus needs a patch a few hours a day. This doctor stressed that her glasses need to be made by someone that understands how to "fit" for kids (not a walmart/target vision center)-- but my problem is our vision plan doesn't specify vision centers that KNOW kids. Ugh. Anyone have a child under two in glasses? Any tips for getting a good fit?

Serafyna

Asked by Serafyna at 1:29 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Call around to the eye centers in your area that are covered by your insurance plan. Ask them if thye typically fit young children, and be sure to let them know her age. This should give you a good idea on where to take her.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I would go back to the opthamologist and ask for a recommendation. Also talk to your insurance company or have the doc office do it to see if a referral is needed, they might cover it...can't hurt to check. My cousin was in glasses as an infant. but then that was years ago...i would go back to the doc and talk some more...
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 1:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I did call get a recommendation - but they don't take our insurance - and calling places, a lot will say they can do kids, but it doesn't mean they are good at them - you know? Thanks for your help ladies. I just want to get this right... this could be the difference between her needing surgery or not for her eye - so the glasses fit is important to me. :)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I work in this field so I understand what you are talking about.what area do you live in and if we live anywhere close I can maybe give you some help.I have a two year old so i would want to make sure I got him the best as I am sure you do.Also if you have any questions I would be glad to help you in any way .
    lglorioso

Answer by lglorioso at 3:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• my daughter needed glasses early too, she's now 4, but we went to a place called A Child's View, in Riverside, Ca, specifically for babies, toddlers, and older kids. I don't know where u live but maybe they are associated with or know of a place in ur area, there number is 951-343-3511
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 3:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2008