If this was your child what would you do?

MY cousin did something bad at school, he took a gun just to show his friends. My aunt got a call from the school was so pissed cause it wasn't there gun she had no idea where he got it. HE could have been hurt he could have hurt someone else. She spanked him right infront of the police officer. MY cousin said I am going to report you to the police and the officer looked at my aunt and said, " its not illegal to spank your kids, just as long as you don't leave a mark.. "

What would you do if this was your kid?

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 11:31 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• You never know how you would react in this kind of situation until you are actually faced with it. I would first be so scared thinking about the chance of my child or another person being hurt or killed then I would be furious with my 14 year old child because at that age and even a little younger they should know and have been taught the dangers of guns to not be messing with them. So yeah I probably would end up spanking him even in front of a cop. The bottom line is don't knock something you have never been faced with. If he was never spanked by mom before I could see it having an impact on him to now know mommy doesn't play when it comes to things like that.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• i agree with tootoobusy. i dont even think this is his fault. why is he being spanked? somebody let this child get a gun. he is a child. where was the adult that was supposed to be watching him?
    & i think spanking him in public is just ridiculous. spanking is horrible period, but if you must spank, dont do it in public.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I would tell the cop to "arrest" my kid, make sure he KNEW this was never to happen again. Then he'd be on full work detail in my house, grounded, no friends, no nothing.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I would spak ass on that one too! NEVER can you let it be okay to do that!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• how old was he?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:32 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Get to the bottom of the situation. Where did this child get the gun? Who is not supervising this child so that this does not happen?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:33 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• yeah what's the age.. sorry but i wouldn't have been spanking him. I would have been trying to really figure out where he got the thing from. That would be my first concern.then maybe a punishment
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• WOW, Id wanna know where my kid was to get a gun if it wasn't mine?
    I'd be more concerned about where he been and why he was able to get his hands on one.
    Don't get me wrong Id get to him, he needs to know not to touch guns and have some serious talks--but Id be more concern with my parenting!!

And YES its not illegal to spank your child
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 11:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• How old was the kid? That determines a lot of how punishment should go
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:35 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• But no matter what the age
    Brandishing A Deadly Assault Weapon is a Felony where I live. I would probably make the cop take him so his dad wouldn't K.O. him. He would definitely need him to spend some time away, maybe in a juvenile hall.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:38 AM on Nov. 20, 2010