What are some of the old wives tales you've heard about pregnancy?

I've heard some really insane ones, even today about the heart rate being low it's a boy, not true in my case, there is definately a little girl in there.

I'm super low, and that's supposed to be a boy as well, but nope two girls here.

b_stotka

Asked by b_stotka at 11:36 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Ha ha these are great, The worst one I ever heard was actually told to my mom when she was prego with me.
    "If you take a bath you will drown the baby!"
    What kind of moron came up with that load of poop?!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 1:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• i heard similar... that if the hearbeat was high it was a girl. the heartbeat was high, and it was a boy.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:36 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Girls steal your beauty, if you look hagered during prg --girl
    heart burn= alot of baby hair
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 11:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I agree with the heart burn. I had it horribly and my son had TONs of hair.
    but mine would be that eating pineapple makes you go into labor. I tried eating a lot of pineapple and it didn't do anything.
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 11:42 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I will say that I've heard that about the boys as well with the tired look, and your glowing if your having a boy...oh well. I'll say it does seem to be true about the heartburn in my house though, but my sister didn't have any and her lo had a head full of black hair! Who knows!
    b_stotka

Comment by b_stotka (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• ive heard the same about the heartbeat and also found it to be untrue. my 3rd had a lower heart rate and she was a girl.

ive heard your belly being low or high is suppose to be girl or boy.

something about dangling a necklace over your belly button and watching if it makes clockwise or counter clockwise circles will mean boy or girl.

lots of morning sickness means girl.

etc etc
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• The heartburn thing is absolutely true! All of my kids had full heads of hair and I had horrible heartburn with each one.
    Pointy belly= Boy
    Round belly= Girl
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 11:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Idk. I do remember a lot of ladies predicting my due date by putting their fingers just under my boobs and pressing. They were all wrong. "Oh, you'll have him next week!"...7 months pregnant. I got so huge. =[ Oh my Grandmother always told me that eggplant is supposed to make you go into labor.
    Scarlet_Delilah

Answer by Scarlet_Delilah at 11:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I have heard that if you crave sweets when you are pregnant then you are having a girl and if you crave salty foods then its a boy. The heartburn one was true for me too!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I've heard if you lift your arms over your head, you really up the risk of miscarriage. ??? Can you imagine?
    In my own experience, when women gain the weight everywhere, it tends to be a girl, and when it's just a basketball belly, it's often a boy, but of course, that's not always true, either.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2010