Is it possible to get over a cheating spouse ????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• From personal experience...NO...you can never get over it. All the books and therapist are full of shit...you're relationship can't get stronger after the cheat and the only way you can pretend to get over it is if you swallow your dignity, pride and self esteem and them you're sending a message to the cheater that you are his doormat and it's okay to hurt you. You will never, ever be able to trust him again and every time he does something "off" it will take you right back to the event.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 12:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I personally don't think so. I have a friend that divorced her husband because he cheated. they later worked it out and got remarried but every time he does something strange or acts strange she can't help but think he could be cheating again.
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 11:53 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Some say it is, but I think something like this will haunt you for life, specially if life involves the cheater.

Answer by older at 11:49 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Not completely. It's not something I've had to deal with but I'm guessing it would be a good long time before I could even consider the relationship good again and only if my DH put in a lot of work. I think you should talk to a counselor.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• if you stay with him, then you will never get over 100%, trust can be restored but the best it can be is 99%
    if you leave the cheater, yes, you can trust another person 100% again
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:59 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I never could. My first husband cheated. My husband now would never cheat... yes, I am 100% positive of this... lol.

My issue with cheating is the fact that my first husband didn't even think about my health. He had sex with this woman without any protection...seriously, who knows what diseases this chick had?? I made sure I was tested yearly for ten years after we split up.....
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 12:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• From first hand experience no. It will always hurt but you can forgive.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• If you really love that person and want to make it work, then you'll forgive. But the pain and mistrust will never go away. No matter how many, "I'm sorry. It'll never happen again." The doubt is always still there. But it can also make a relationship grow.
    MindyMoo631

Answer by MindyMoo631 at 1:46 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Depends on the person really my step daughter is always forgiving her cheating husband. I couldn't though once my husband sleeps with someone else it is over, I would forgive him but things would not be the same and I would not be able to have relations with him again
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:30 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• it just depends really....i mean some people get over it,some people dont,some people end up being friends with the ex who cheated.....people are different....its your choice if you want to get over it....you honestly need to because it may hurt you emotionally worse down the road....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 2:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2010