are attention disorders hereditary?

i havent done any research on this because it's never been of concern to me. the children dh and i have are only 23 months and 10 months anyway. but i was thinking today about him dealing with adhd throughout his adolesence and began thinking if this could be passed down. he doesn't seem to have the problem anymore, he's either grown out of it or just learned to deal with it better as an adult. so could this be a genetic trait? ive noticed his mom sometimes will ask me a question and when i answer her she's not even paying attention sometimes, like she forgot she asked me and went on to the next thing.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Health

• i think chances are higher
    my child has autism (in spectrum)
    her older brother has ADD (also in spectrum)
    her father- never had any doctor say (but i think he is in spectrum too)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• They can be, my DH has ADHD and a bit of autism, and I am begining to think our son has the same things although he hasn't been tested yet.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• my father in law has add or adhd, my sister in law (his daughter) also has it, both of her kids have it, and a couple of other nephews have it. so just looking at my husband's family it seems to be. other than that i have never thought about it. i have no idea if stuff like that really is.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 12:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• It is definitely hereditary  That doesn't mean your children will get it but they are at an increased risk of getting it.  I have ADHD and two children, my oldest doesn't have it but my youngest does.  I got it from my dad.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• i think maybe but not sure
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2010