How much longer can we afford the Bureau of Indian Affairs?

The BIA received more than 160 billion dollars in the 2010 budget. Isn't it time to stop what amounts to "reparations" to the descendents of the 19th century's native Americans?

Before you get ready to bash me...I have enough Cherokee in me to qualify for benefits and the "right" to check the little Native American box. I do not need nor want any benefits or special treatment simply because of my ancestors.

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 12:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I have a friend who is Chippewa. Her Band owns the Mount Pleasant Casino on the Isabella Indian reservation. She does not work and rakes in 9 thou a month. That tribe is getting wealthy. They are able to stand on their own feet. We need to wean off bands like that.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• IDK, I guess it all depends on how they are using the funds. If they are blowing it then no. I have driven through reservations that have their own police. If you are stopped they end up calling a highway patrolman to give you a ticket. Seems like we appropriate money that ends up in redundancy, and end up paying twice as much if not more than we should. It sure seems like a lot of money. I know they have government insurance (not sure what it's called, but I could qualify - won't bother since we already get coverage w/ DH's work and I believe those programs aren't taking new applicants at this time).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• There are tons of things that we can't afford anymore. This particular situation has been so badly mishandled for the past few hundred years I doubt it will ever be fixed. Dissolving the BIA won't save the country or balance the national debt. Overhauling it, like an unbelievable number of other government agencies and programs, would be a step in the right direction.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I do not thing that this is something that we have the option to do away with. It is like an interest only mortgage it is never ending.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I am 1/4 Odawa and in these times I will do whatever it takes so that I get a check and can pay my rent. Its every man for himself nowdays.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• With our current deficit, YEAH it needs to stop. WASTEFUL SPENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

• At some point it will have to be done away with. It's not a popular opinion, but it's true. I don't agree that it's akin to the senior citizens group, since everyone at some point will be a senior , barring tragedy.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• There wouldn't even be a BIA if "Americans" would have just left them alone and not been so greedy.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I realize I will be in much trouble stating this but here I go.

The White man stole this land away from the Native American people. And so I say White man still has a debt to pay.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 1:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I'm on both sides of this.

Sure...they got screwed...really badly, and i don't think conpensation is out of line.

However, at some point, you just have to move on.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 6:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2010