What sport..?

I have a 5-yr-old who wants to do everything! She wants to start soccer, karate, swimming and gymnastics. She is already in dance classes and takes piano and violin lessons so she can't possibly do all these sports. Not enough hours in a day!

Everytime I ask her to choose ONE she says she want to do all of them. So it's basically up to me. Which one would you choose? I don't know which one is the most beneficial for her body and health, most fun etc..?

Thank you!

mygirlpaige

Asked by mygirlpaige at 12:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd rotate them by season until she gets older and starts enjoying one or two more than the others. :) It is important that she gets to try it all.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I would instruct her to choose one or she does none this time. There is no need to overschedule and no need to try to do everything all at once. Try one of her choosing for a while, then try something different. But if she is unable to choose, the natural consequence for not choosing would be not participating - and she is not too young to learn this lesson.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I agree: if she cannot choose, she does not participate. Like you said, she WANTS all of them. And when you ask her to pick one, she's trying to pressure you into ALL of them, because she WANTS them. It's time to learn that we don't always get what we want. Either choose one or lose out.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 1:44 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• haha you kid sounds fun!

My daughter does gymnastics and her body is extremely flexible now. She's been doing it for two years and it's a lot of fun too. The kids are also very disciplined when they do sports. Very nice!
    evie-1006

Answer by evie-1006 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• If she can't choose, then she does none. If you choose and she hates it, it'll be a nightmare. A 5 year old is perfectly capable of choosing 1 thing. At 5, my dd wanted soccer. That lasted only 2 seasons. Then she wanted karate. We started that at 8 and now, 2 years later, she still loves it. My son, now 5, just started karate. The thing is that they chose it, not me.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My daughter is usually very determined. Knows what she wants. She's been in dance classes for 2 years and she still enjoys it like it's the first day. I do want her to try it all but I would also like her to stick to one and get good at it.
    mygirlpaige

Comment by mygirlpaige (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• IMO She has plenty of time to develop skill and be good. At this age it's more important to get to try everything that she thinks looks interesting. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2010