I got FS for a total of two years...

I just got a promotion at my job, from intern to salaried position, making a good chunk of money. A very good chunk. Do I pay them back? In total I receive $350 per month 350*24months is $8400. I went from making a measly $12.25 an hour part time internship, which totaled about $1000 after taxes were taken out per month. Now my salary contract, until evaluations, states I will make over 5x's that a month. So you can see the difference right? Now I don't know if I'm supposed to pay them back or what...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• The other ladies are right... unless you lied you don't have to pay it back.
    It would be cool to pay it forward. Maybe find another mom in a similar situation and help her??

That's so awesome that you got a raise and picked yourself up! Way to go!!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• You don't ever pay back your benefits unless you were lying to get them and got caught-which you weren't. Notify them with in the alloted time frame of your income change so that the benefits can be discontinued and then you go on. I agree it would be a very nice gesture to donate to a food bank now that you are able to!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't think you need to pay them back but maybe you can donate to a local food pantry if you would like to give back.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• as long as you tell them you got the raise then no.. they will take you off the program but you dont have to pay it back.... its there for ppl that need it and easy to get off of when you dont...
    congrats by the way
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 12:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• No one is going to make you pay them back, in fact even if you were to try you'd probably get laughed at. lol I agree with tony1638, if you feel the need to give back there are programs out there that could use the help. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My mom told me I had to pay them back. Well I don't then yes I will continue to donate, and even more now. My dream is to set up a foundation for low income moms to get help with books, day care, food etc, because those were my struggles. After paying off my debt and what not I think I will make an impact by doing that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Oh and the food bank is a good idea, I used to donate clothes, my pre-baby clothes were laughing at me, but the food bank. I will have to find out where they are.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I would give out to a food bank, local charity, church, family, friends, etc. They do not require that you pay them back. Just report to them the income changes that are required and they will deduct what is needed :)
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 2:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2010