Butting in or not?

My MIL once told me she would never butt into a parenting issue. Today she says that I feed to much sugar, but my daughter had only ate breakfast, a waffle, and a bowl of cereal. She runs around a lot because she's excited, she's 2 what does she expect? Frustrating!

BTW she doesn't use syrup yet, so don't go there with the sugar!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ladies I would say most of those MIL mean well, if it aggravates you, just smile and nod then do what you think it is best.

Answer by older at 12:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't think it's butting in when offering healthy suggestions. read the box label on both the waffle and cereal. I think you will be surprised how much sugar is there.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• lol ignore her. you could feed the kid vegetables for breakfast and she would still have a lot of ENERGY, run circles around the backyard for 20 mins and jump on the trampoline for an hour like you just fed her red bull...MIL's just want to snip at something
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 12:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Is the cereal sugar laden?
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Starch turns to sugar. Waffles and cereal are pretty useless calories. She needs fruits and protein and vitamin laden foods not alot of white carbohydrates. MIL knows what she is talking about. It is for your child's health.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• A waffle and a bowl of cereal ALL convert to sugar. What about protein or fruits or dairy products or even vegetables? Your MIL has a very vaild point.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yep, I would say it is butting in when she is directly saying "you shouldn't do this.. you should do that.. too much of this.. not enough of that".. gotta love the MILs! If we wanted their opinions we would ask lol
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yea, somethings many people consider healthy are just sugar in disguise. Just politely agree and the bid her freakin' adieu.
    Scarlet_Delilah

Answer by Scarlet_Delilah at 12:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I thought sugar makes you tired not hyper. MIl's usually think they know more, so just smile and say " I'll take that into consideration."
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 1:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Sugar lifts you up to later drop you down. It makes you hyper, and then tired. It gives energy (why athletes will carbo-load).  So, she runs around a lot because she's on a sugar-high.  She will likely crash later, often accompanied by whining, tears, melt-downs, etc, because when a sugar overload drops you, it drops you hard.

And Yes, MIL has a very good point.  She's not really butting into a parenting issue, but more likely she thinks that you must not know the difference between good nutrition and poor nutrition.  I understand.

jinxandjoy

Answer by jinxandjoy at 2:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2010