Reading Harry Potter to the preschooler.

What do you think of this? I rarely read to my kids. Well, its more like I 'balance' it out with other things. She is very smart and she is in a private school. I have considered breaking out some Harry Potter. Good for the imagination like The Wizard of Oz or The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

What big series did YOU start your kid(s) out on?

CandyHorse

Asked by CandyHorse at 12:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• As a reading teacher, I am all for getting kids involved in reading and am a strong advocate for reading to your child every single day, but you have to preview books yourself first to make sure they are appropriate for your child. You also have to know your child and what they can handle. I know for a fact that my 5 year old who is scared to death that a freakin bear is hiding in the basement will not be able to handle the content in Harry Potter. He is educationally intelligent but he still lets his imagination run away with him too much. I can't even let him watch Scooby Doo! LOL! He's been asking for a couple months for me to read Harry Potter to him, but I keep telling him he has to wait until he is older. Read this

MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• The first few books are okay IMO for a preschooler, but from the 4th book on, it becomes very dark and perhaps too intense and complicated for someone of that age to comprehend.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My daughter is 3 and she LOVES Harry Potter so I see nothing wrong with it! The whole point is to get the child interested in reading and making it fun for them and I can't think of a better series!
    Ariahsmom

Answer by Ariahsmom at 12:38 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I read my son Treasure Island ans Swiss Family Robinson when he was 4. Maybe The little Princess or the Secret Garden. The first Harry Potter is great but they will progress to be above her by the next book. I would either wait a few years or only do the first. IMO.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think the end is rather scary in all the books. My sister read them to her preschoolers and just kinda skipped the super scary stuff.

They are fun and wonderful books!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Dr Seuss

Answer by admckenzie at 12:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I have bought the Dr. Seus for her and I have rented the ones I dont have yet. And, she bores out quick on that. Its weird.
    CandyHorse

Comment by CandyHorse (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I would read HP to my kids... Although we generally prefer to read myths and classic fables than any modern day stories...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I did not even think of Swiss Family or Treasure Island. I do own a very old copy of the Illiad (for boys and girls) and Charlotte's Web.
    CandyHorse

Comment by CandyHorse (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My kids would never sit through Harry Potter.  I can barely get through picture books with my 4yo.  She gets bored too easily, especially without pictures.  Even my older kids would be bored just listening.  That's why I rarely read to them.  I get 2 pages in and they are staring into space and not paying attention at all.

But if your kids will listen to it go for it.  My kids love the movies.  They've been watching them since they were toddlers.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2010