Why do Toy drives always ask for new toys(I understand unwrapped)...What wrong with lightly used ones?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Holidays

• I don't know. It seems to me beggers shouldn't be choosers. If the toy nice and barely used at all to the point that it looks new then what is the issue. What? It's not in a box? Set limits. Lightly used: Free from dirt and debris, In working order, not missing any pieces and no cracks or dents.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 7:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Because "slightly used" has different meanings to different people. So while you or I would give really nice used toys, others would give rubbish. They it is a nightmare trying to separate and clean all of those toys.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Because at Christmas EVERY child deserves to get a new toy.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• For the same reason we want new, unwrapped candy for Halloween. No one wants to have to wonder where that toy has been, if you know what I mean. You may have good intentions... but that isn't true of everyone.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

_________________-
    This is EXACTLY the reason. 14 years ago, we did a Toy Drive where i was working and people gave crap. They gave dirty toys, broken toys that didn't work, toys missing parts, it was horrible. I could not believe that people would donate this stuff to needy children. We wound up having to try and collect money and buy new toys so that children would have something under their tree.
    I wonder how the people that donated those toys would feel if that was what their own children would receive Christmas day.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I ask the same question myself. If it's still in the original package and near mint condition, who cares? I'm sure the recipient won't.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• maybe their afriad evil people will tamper with the toys... there are some crazies out there!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't understand either. Any toy should be good enough. If they are still in good condition they should be good enough for them but they aren't. What gets me is that they ask you to leave the receipt to the toys. It make me wonder if they just return the toy and get other things.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Gently used toys are often donated and are often distributed throughout the year. Too many people feel that they want new, so the agencies try to give them something new at the holiday time. I totally agree that gently used would be just fine, except for the fact that gently used means something different to everyone.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• *theyre
    pookipoo