Which specific denominations spread the lies about other denominations?

It comes up here all the time that people have been raised to believe that Jehovah's Witnesses, Catholics and/or LDS (mormon) are not real Christians or not in any way Christians. It's obviously a crock, but there are enough people who actually believe it, they must have been taught that somewhere. If you were raised with one (or all) of those lies, what denomination taught you they aren't Christian? Did they teach you other Protestant denoms were wrong, too, or did they only focus on one or more of those three?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm presbyterian and our church is very accepting ... at least the couple I have attended have always been. I never realized so many people in the world were this judgmental until I started reading the questions in this section. I guess I live in a little bubble or something.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't think that it is directly taught but I think that it is more like I head this from so and so who heard it from so and so. So things get so twisted and who knows if the original person every had a clear understanding of what the original person was trying to convey.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think they all do! Especially JW's, the Catholics are good at it too.
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 12:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I was raised Baptist and I was raised to believe that Catholics where almost as bad as Satanist. I was also raised to believe that all other denominations where wrong. I learned better and taught my parents. They were raised the same way.
    Anonymous

• I was raised Catholic and we never considered ourselves "Christian". We believe in more than just Christ...he was merely a vessel for the spirit of God. However, we do talk about Christian actions, such as peace, love and forgiveness...actions and behaviors Christ embodied.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 12:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• IMO Southern Baptist as the worst to point fingers.
    Anonymous

• I was raised in Pentecostal churches and my mother thought Catholics were pretty awful
    She went to a Catholic church once for a funeral and we never heard the end of it about the satues and how creepy the church was and whatnot...
    growing up though I jsut remember that basically anyone who wasn't in our church was basically of the devil...and I never even realised until my teen years that there were people who thought any different
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I was raised Mormon and they lead me to believe that all other religions are wrong and evil that they are the only true/right religion.
    Yeah....I'm an Atheist now.... I never believed them.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I went to a liberal church---Congregational---and they didn't criticize others. My in-laws were Baptist in MN and while they were a strict church,they didn't say that other churches were wrong---specifically,they didn't say Catholics were almost as bad as "satanists"...whatever that is.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I was raised in a Southern Baptist Church and the church I was in was very anti any religion/denomination other than it's self specifically Catholics. I was told once by the pastor that I shouldn't ask questions. I left that church as soon as I was old enough to. I became Catholic as a teenager and the church I attended was very open to other christian Faiths and never really mentioned others. I left that church as a young adult and am currently attended a non-denominational church that is very accepting.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:17 PM on Nov. 20, 2010