For mothers who would consider or have ever used a doula for childbirth.

Would you hire a doula who has not given birth herself?
I'm hoping to become certified as a doula in a few months, but i'm worried that my lack of experience (meaning, that i have not personally experienced pregnancy, labor or childbirth) will have people feeling like i might be less than qualified for the position.
I feel this way because lots of what i read happens to mention that someone who has never given birth might not be the best choice for the laboring woman. :(

So, would only hire a doula if she herself has given birth? Or does that matter?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 12:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't ever use one to begin with, so feel free to ignore this...

I wouldn't use an OB or Peds that didn't have children, so the idea of a Doula or Midwife without kids just doesn't make sense to me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I would hire a woman who has not given birth herself. I did not end up getting one because I had my husband there for support for me. If my husband was deployed then I would have hired one for sure. I say go for it! Good luck!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I didn't have a "doula" but I had my best friend with me and my husband. She and I were both OB nurses, and she absolutely helped more than my dh at that time. He went and sat in a corner. I think it was a little much for him, lol....
    Would I hire a doula who hadn't had children? It depends on what kind of experience she had.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I considered a Doula when I was considering a VBAC. I looked into it and then decided not to do a VBAC since my second child was in the same awkward position as the first.

It depends. I would have to meet her and see her credentials. If we clicked and she was well educated then yes, I would hire her. Ideally I think someone who has actually 'been there' would be better. If I was between two I liked a lot and had equal qualifications then I would hire the one who had given birth. Does that make sense? - I know what I'm talking about lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't use an OB or Peds that didn't have children, so the idea of a Doula or Midwife without kids just doesn't make sense to me. Answer by SabrinaMBowen 17 minutes ago
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    lol... really? So you wouldn't see a therapist who has never had mental problems, because they just wouldn't understand right??? I want to be a doula, and I didn't get a choice...I had an emergency c-section. So because I haven't "pushed", I shouldn't dare lend comfort to a woman in pain...cause I wouldn't understand. W H A T E V E R.........
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:24 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't think it makes a difference. I've worked with good doulas who haven't given birth yet, and I've worked with not so great doulas who have. I think the individual doula makes more difference than her own experience giving birth. A good doula can draw upon her experience, but not all of them are that smart. Interview a couple of them, and when you find one that you get a good feeling about, go with her. You'll feel more comfortable just doing what you need to do if you're comfortable with her.
    I'm studying to be a midwife, and I definitely plan to have a doula there for me when I have my next child. It's hard to keep your head straight when you're in labor, so having a good doula can really help. DH was AWESOME during our first birth, but I think a doula can really add something to the experience.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I'm with you, brandyj. That's like saying you wouldn't use an oncologist who's never had cancer.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't think it really matters but most pregnant women would prefer someone who has already experience labor so that it makes them more comfortable knowing the doula knows what they are going through. But that is not to say that you would not be a great doula. My daughter had one with one of her pregnancies and it was the best labor she ever had. The upward side to you not having children is that you would be able to be available whenever your pregnant client went into labor.
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I used a doula for my second pregnancy and I will NEVER birth without one again. It was a WONDERUFL experience.

That being said I MIGHT use doula who hasn't given birth before. To me it's more about "does this person agree with my birth philosiphy and will she make me feel comfortable during labor?" than how many kids does she have.

My doula did have a son but pregnancy honestly didn't come up much throughout my pregnancy.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I had a midwife and a dr as I have special health needs and I wanted it more natural but I also wanted to make sure if anything happen there was a dr right there. I have a chromozonal disorder and my daughter does too I knew she would have it being born.
    not sure what the difference is between a dula and a midwife. My midwife was great ened up with like 18 specialst in the room after words was not part of my birthing plan at all and I wanted to use the spa but had way to many things hooked up to me to do that. sighs.
    I would have the same midwife again in a heart beat. don't know if she had kids or not I cant remember
    amanda_23

Answer by amanda_23 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 9, 2011