Calling ALL religions. I need info please.

We are a Christian family and we are raising our children as such BUT we want them to have knowledge of all other faiths as well. They are still young so we want to stick with how each faith is the same and how it is different than our own. I would like to hear these comparisons same/different from actual people not just books. What could I tell my children about your faith. How is it the same and how is it different. (Believe in God but not Jesus, Believe in being kind to others but believe in more than one God...) This is the basics of our faith.

Along with following Christ teachings of spreading the good news and being kind to others, Loving our neighbors....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm a Germanic Heathen, which is the faith of my ancestors.  We get regularly lumped in with the category "pagan" but only in the sense that we are not a biblical religion.  We have little in common with most eclecitc or Wiccan beliefs that most people assume you're talking about if you say pagan.  Just like Christianity, we have multiple subgroups with different interpretations of the rules.  I'm a Universalist Reconstructionist, which means I don't believe you have to be born to it to practice it, and that you don't get to change the rules to suit you or borrow them for other faiths and redefine things to make them fit better.

-cont'd-
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• You may find this interesting... http://paganspath.com/magik/similar.htm

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• You can find a kid friendly version of the basic tenets here: NNV for Kids and a general overview of the faith here: Beginners Course

NotPanicking

• Hinduism has virtually no conflicts with Christianity. In fact, most Hindus look at Christianity as being very close to their own religion, in essence, though there could be superficial differences. The core philosophy and values of the two religions is exactly the same.
    Christianity emphasizes on virtues like honesty, character, reliability, compassion, peace, respect and faith. In Hinduism, the word for religion is "dharma", the meaning of which is "duty". Dharma is the duty of every human being, which he or she must fulfill. The duties of every person are based on the same virtues of compassion, honesty and selflessness that are the essence of Christianity as well. So the duties of a person must be carried out, as a son, as a spouse, as a father, as a friend and as a citizen, soldier or king.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Another significant similarilty of both Hinduism and Christianity is their acceptance and tolerance of difference in views. In Christianity, we have both Catholics and Protestants. In India there are different schools of philosophy about gods. There is advaita, there is dvaita, and there is vishishtha advaita which all have different thearies from one another. What is more important is that both religions have allowed differences in opinions to be respected. The most important feature however, of both Christianity and Hinduism is their humanistic approach. Hinduism believes the whole human race is like a family. Christians also believe that all humans are sons or daughters of the same god. So both treat all human beings with respect and goodwill (most do). No doubt then that both Christians and Hindus prefer secular governments, and respect and liberty for all religions and philosophies.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• ladiesfirst - Jewish people believe in God but not Jesus.
    I'm not Christian nor am I Jewish. I have a wonderful relationship with the God I believe in without the need for any version of the Bible (which imo is a work of fiction) or Jesus.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 12:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• *theories...

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• i read the basics of your faith and it seems very similar to my faith... i am seventh-day adventist... saturday is our sabbath... we believe in God the father, God the son (Jesus) and the Holy Spirit... we believe in baptism when the person chooses to be baptised for their sins... we adhere to the old testament in what foods are clean and unclean... we believe Jesus died for our sins and will come back to take us to Heaven (and will raise the dead)...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 7:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think you should just try to educate your children about the spiritual aspect of life. Teach them how to care for their souls and the life of others w/o any prejudice. My faith is within self, and I practice self responsibility, and metaphysical science (aka magick). If you want to share with your children what I personally believe in then share with them an open mind. A mind that knows no limitsis free. I'm anti-religious for many reasons, and so my family and I live a natural spiritual life. We dont focus on right or wrongs. We explore many ways to learn about life and divinity. Everything about what I know and what I remind my children pretty much is opposed to in the church, but we are holy beings never the less.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:06 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I think you're bound to get a lot of answers here. I think it's a great idea. My beliefs are similar to what Sabrina posted a link about.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:05 AM on Nov. 22, 2010