Two questions: What can I give my nephew, who is a month old, for constipation? When is the safest age to give rice and milk?

MsIrish87

Asked by MsIrish87 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't give a thing to my kids. I just messaged their bellies and pushed their legs up by their bellies to help move it down. Worked everytime.
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 1:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• There's not a ton you can do, as far as foods go. He's WAY too young for rice or milk, which shouldn't be given before 6 months.
    You can rub his tummy in a clockwise position to help move stuff down. You can also push his legs up and down, kind of like a deep squat, to encourage stuff to come out. If worst comes to worst, you can try stimulating his rectum with a Q tip (add a bit of Vaseline to it) or a thermometer. Just be sure to watch out! Sometimes that's just the thing to jostle loose a block!
    I hope this helps!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• tummy massage, warm bath or rectal stimulation with a thermometer as a last resort BUT it isn't uncommon for a baby to not have a bowel movement every day.

Most peds recommend never mixing rice cereal in a bottle and introducing rice cereal through a spoon at 4 months though IMO 6 months is better.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Water. My sister's best friend had a set of twins. She told me that her twins hadn't taken a bowel movement in about three weeks! (NOT GOOD considering they were only three months old) I had them for the weekend and gave them water and rubbed their lower backs by friday night they were exploding everywhere. That worked for me. Maybe you should consult your doctor if nothing come about.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 1:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• why do you think he is constipated?
    i was told that as long as a breast fed baby is eating then it is not constipated.
    i do not know if that rule applies for formula fed babies.
    have you tried bicycling his legs?
    or folding the knees into/ toward the tummy?
    or massaging the belly?

i would not do water, or rice.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Water. My cousin had to give her newborn 2 oz of water after every bottle to help with constipation. My son's doc had me make a cup of weak tea and let cool to room temp and give him a few ounces. As to when to give milk or rice...that is between you and the doctor and NO ONE else. My son was on cereal out of a spoon at 2 weeks, made with milk. He was on only table food and 2% milk at 8 months old, ALL WITH PERMISSION FROM THE DOCTOR. Every baby is different and can handle different things at different times.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• dont give the baby milk til its a year. I started my daughter on baby outmeal at 3 months and at a month old I gave her a little water for constipation
    NevansMommy

Answer by NevansMommy at 12:53 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• single grain rice @ 4 months is reccomended.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:36 AM on Nov. 24, 2010