Baby is constipated- adult content

My baby is 4 months old and I started to give her a little rice in her formula the other day and she hasn't pooped since. Today she has been pushing really hard and you can see it but it's too big to come out and it's very painful for her. Is there anything that I can do to help her or should I just take her to the hospital? I called the Dr. but he has not gotten back to me yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Juice.

Prune, Apple, berry, etc.

Start with 1/2 juice and 1/2 water.

When DD was small she got constipated on her milk. We did a Q-tip with a dab of vasoline. Inserted JUST the tip into her rectum. Worked like a charm.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 2:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Mix a little juice with water and give her that. But no more then 4oz of juice a day. This is what my sons doc told me to do with my son when he was going through that. They told me to use either pear or apple juice. Hope she does better soon...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Try rubbing her tummy in a clockwise direction, and pushing her legs up like a deep squat. You can stimulate her rectum with a thermometer or Q tip with a little Vaseline on the tip. I wouldn't give her anything like juice or water. But I would avoid the rice for a couple more months. The AAP doesn't recommend giving anything but breastmilk or formula before 6 months.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• A tiny bit of rice is fine. Not too much, just a small amount. A small amount of vegetables is fine at this age too. If you're going to do juice, I'd just do a very small amount like was suggested above. The one thing I would avoid is using anything to stimulate her rectum. Bad idea.
    Anonymous

• I didn't start my ds or dd on solids until they were almost 6 months old and they both went thru some constipation briefly. So, they were a little older (so check w/your doc) but I had to use the Pediatric size Glycerin Suppositories a couple of times...I even breastfed both of them (ds 13 months & dd 14.5 months) and doctors always say breastfed babies shouldn't get constipated??? Also, try juice and another good thing to try is the 1st step baby food prunes...that ALWAYS worked on my babes!!
    NaturalMomOfTwo

Answer by NaturalMomOfTwo at 2:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• juice apple pear prune etc
    and try a little (5-6 drops ) of Caro syrup in the formula that works like a charm!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 4:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• hmm.. I would def stop the rice until she sees the Dr. is it single grain? thats what they need to start on..
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:35 AM on Nov. 24, 2010