Gift in a jar?

I have been reading a little on the different types of recipes and/or small items you can put into a mason jar for holiday or sometime special.

Has anyone done these? If so, what was the 'gift?'

CandyHorse

Asked by CandyHorse at 2:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I've done it many times. Mostly with soups makings. Here is a great website I use.

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/giftinajar/index.shtml

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• This summer we had a garden that went berserk, so I made all kinds of relishes and jelly. I often give that away as gifts.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I have a whole recipe book for these. We have a lot of family who have everything or can buy it if they want it so I bake and such. I have done cookies and hot chocolate. I also make lasagna and casseroles that are all put together and then they just have to be baked or heated up. Everyone says they love them, so I do it every year.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 2:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• One year I received orange tea in a jar. It was so good, I enjoy it all year long on nice days. It was a novel gift and I haven't forgotten it.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 2:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I have gotten cookie mix in a jar before. Here is a website that talks about it.  It was a lot of fun and I am thinking of doin it this year.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I did them with my work. We did chocolate chip cookies. I don't have the recipe anymore but my suggestion to you is make sure you pack the flour and sugar in the jar real tight or all the ingredients won't fit!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 2:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yes! It was Orange Spiced Tea. It even came with a pretty little recipe card attached, in case I ran out.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 2:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Here is a link to a page on my website with lots of these recipes. I love making these for others during the holidays.

http://www.ourheartlandhome.com/kitchen/jar%20gifts/index.htm

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I did soup mixes one year... got the recipe from a book... dried veggies and stuff, all they had to do was add water. Ppl said it was pretty good!! ;o) I also did homemade hot-coco mix and gave them with mugs... good stuff!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I've never done it, but I've seen brownie mix, sugar cookie mix, spice cake, chocolate cake mix, cranberry muffins...etc.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2010