Safe international webcam chat for younger kids?

Hi ladies,
I'm a newb, and this is my first question.
My daughter wasn't old enough for kindergarten this year, but we'll probably home-school her for a couple of years anyways. She's advanced for her age by a year or two, and its my understanding that the local schools here don't offer much for these kids. We're looking into hybrid programs where she can do most of her schoolwork at home, but still attend some group classes at school, music, science, art, etc. (Always looking for additional socializing opportunities.)

Anyways, I've been looking online for a website that hosts a chat/camchat for younger kids and I cannot find one. I think that it would be an awesome opportunity for her to be able to chat with other 5 year olds from around the world, and it seems like cam would be safer than text, since we can *see* that she is talking to another child, etc.

Is there a well known site that I am missing? I find it hard to believe that something like this wouldn't exist.

Thanks so much for helping!!! :o)
-Sarah

Sarahsdawn

Asked by Sarahsdawn at 2:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Im not sure if there is a site that you can do that with but you should get in contact with other moms who homeschool their kids and do a webcam chat with them. Good luck and hope you find something.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• you should invent it or something. make lots of money.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I know, right? I am so not technical, though.

But can you imagine how cool this would be? 5 year old asks mom the millionth question, or does the "I'm bored" thing and mom replies with, "Let's see who's online!" Its gotta be better than tv.
    I think it would be a good learning opportunity, too, to learn about how the lives of kids in other cultures is similar/different from hers.

Seriously, this needs to exist, like, right now.
    Sarahsdawn

Comment by Sarahsdawn (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Nov. 20, 2010