When ready to check out from the store, Do you actually count how many items you have (if u have 10 or less)

Not to mention say you are getting 2 gal. of milk 3 loaves of bread and 5 apples and maybe 3 oranges OR 7 hostess cupcakes...so 2+3+5=10 right so what if I get the 7+3 loaves of bread is that still considered the same 10 items even though it is the same items as far as the cupcakes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yes. I count the number of items that will need to be scanned.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:12 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• You count how many individual items you have in the basket. Multiples of one item do not make you exempt. I was a cashier as a teen. It can actually get them in trouble if someone complains about you and they have not kicked you out of the line,
    graced716

Answer by graced716 at 2:12 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I start counting and if I get to 10 and still have quiet a bit left I just go to a normal line, If I only have a few more than the amount stated I use the express line. Little things like apples and such I clump as one especially if they are all one kind since they can all be rung up together.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 2:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I count. I count 1 bag of apples, 3 loaves of bread, 1 bunch of bananas, etc.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I always have about 20 yogurts so I count them as one. I count cans of tomatoes as one. Like items get counted as one. Unless I have a huge cart of the same items.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yes. I usually use the self checkout for things like that if there is one in the store.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• It's supposed to be individual items If you have 5 apples that are in a plastic produce bag that can be rung up as1 item as they are all in the bag, fine. If you have 5 cans of soup, that's 5 items, not 1 item.
    I was a cashier during high school and college and i used to LOVE the stupid explanations of why some people felt they were exempt for the 10 items or less rule.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• each item that has to be scanned is ONE item. if produced is priced by weight per pound then each separate apple, orange, whatever is a separate item, 3 loaves of the same bread is still 3 items. i used to hate working at a grocery store when i was a teenager and having people with a flippin cartful of items come through the express line, then expect to be in and out even though most express lanes don't have baggers because if the cashier only has to bag 10 items or less they don't need one.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I count individual items. If I am buying 20 packages of something, it's still 20 even if they are all the same. I hate getting in line behind people who use that way of counting, I go to those lines to get through quickly. Another thing that gripes me is that our store's only 10 items or less line is the tobacco line so it's still not quickly moving.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I count the individual items that need to be scanned so if I have 2 milks that counts as 2.
    pbilotti

Answer by pbilotti at 2:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2010