Since Misconception is the word of the day...

Have you ever heard something about your own path which you were seriously just bowled over by? And what was it?

I have heard a LOT of misconceptions and propaganda about Pagans, most of which I can just shake my head at and chalk up to under-educated masses... But once in a while I hear something that really makes my jaw drop and I think "Who the hell comes up with this stuff?"

What about you? What stuff have you heard about your path which just makes you wonder "WTH?"

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• When I was a practicing Catholic I was often accused of believing that Mary was held at the same esteem as Jesus and that Saints were as good as God.

Mary is held in a higher place- She was chosen to be the mother of God. She deserves respect
    Catholics do not pray to saints they ask the saint to pray for them as kind of a support team.

I can't tell you how many times I was handed a 'track' when I said I was Catholic...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Sabrina: I see it on here almost every day... that God is evil, that we are blind followers, that we are hypocrites, that we are ignorant, that we are narrowminded, that we are hateful... the list goes on
    I understand where it all comes from and I am not suprised. It only causes me to turn to God and pray and continue to love in return no matter what I see and hear and am told. Thing is this. I am well aware of why people think this way but I am also very solid in my faith and I know how God sees me and most importantly I know who I am in Him and what He says about me.
    So all the things I see and read and encounter on here are really not something I hold on to or allow it to affect me in any way shape or form. What is most important to me is what God says and His Love for me. Everything else is small compared to how big God is and how amazing He is.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Misconceptions do tend to be a good conversation started when wanting to share your faith. I enjoy being corrected- when it's done nicely...
    Anonymous

• Yes....lots. I just have to sweep it under the rug and be true to myself.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• That we worship Satan, as in the being that only exists to people who practice a completely different religion. As ridiculous as going up to a random Christian and pointing at them, saying YOU WORSHIP LOKI! They don't even believe in Loki, and yet, they expect us to cower and apologize when they say we worship something we don't believe in?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I have people on here assume all the time that I am a brain washed idiot that has no idea how to think for myself, just because I am a Christian. I have a degree in Journalism and I minored in religious history. I think that qualifies me to do my own thinking as far as my faith is concerned.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 3:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• The whole concept the I am a "non-believer" always makes me go WTH??? "I am a believer... I just don't believe in what you believe" is usually my answer!! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yes I have 90% of people think I am a Satanist when they find out that I am a Pagan and one of my friends even asked me if I went out into the forest at night and sacrificed babies to my God's I was in shock and awe because she was clutching her son like I was going to harm him needless to say we are no longer friends because she go verbally abusive and took it to a physical level saying that I was a Heathen and evil. I have also seen people in my religion demean others though such as saying that other religious are ignorant or arrogant but for the most part the thing that makes my jaw drop is that when someone takes the time to get to know me as a person and then when they find out that i am a Pagan they are running like hell in the other direction because of some misconception about my religion so yeah I think every religion has that problem.
    madwoman41731

Answer by madwoman41731 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Wow, ButMommie! Did you hear that from a priest or from other Catholics? Whoever said that was seriously misinformed about the Catholic faith.

I am Catholic, and the big misconception I've heard is that we worship Mary. Of course, anyone who does that is guilty of idolatry. I don't personally know anyone who does. We see her more as a prayer partner. Catholics believe that those in Heaven are still family and still connected to us, and that they can pray for us. If I ask another person to pray for me, I am not worshipping them. Same idea.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I have never really heard anything that offended me... most of the misconceptions that I hear about Buddhism just come from people not knowing a lot about the belief system and trying to see it in terms of something they are more familiar with... hence I hear that the Buddha is divine or worshipped (he's not), that Nirvana is 'Buddhist Heaven' (it's not), and that the Dalai Lama is 'the Buddhist Pope' (he's not.) And of course, that the Buddha is the little short fat bald guy... the little roly poly Buddha figure is actually not meant to be a representation of the historical Buddha.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2010