How far is too far?

Me and my man have slightly different opinions on how to discipline. We both believe in spanking, but he is much more agressive with it. Sort of like the ol', "I'll give him a reason to cry!" way of thinking. How to I make him understand that a 15 month old doesn't understand that and how far is too far for him to take it. Oh, also, whenever I say something, he brings up the, "he's my son and I'm the man."

Scarlet_Delilah

Asked by Scarlet_Delilah at 2:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• he's my son and I'm the man." he is a Mr. macho man, I hate it when men do this, ask him if being a man makes him more of a parent than you!

Answer by older at 2:30 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My husband tends to be a pushover, but when he does step in he tends to be like that too... I think spanking is a good thing, and use it myself, but in order for it to be successful it has to be done correctly. And that I think is where the line is... If spanking is used out of anger or annoyance or a need for control it's not being used correctly. There are other forms of discipline which should be explored as well. I would say you need to pull your husband aside - when he's not angry - and approach this subject. Explain to him where you stand and how you feel about his actions. Make him understand that you both have the same goal but that you feel he's taking things to far and see if you can't find a happy medium somewhere...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think you guys shoul have a talk about the appropriate amount of disipline for a 15 month old baby. Check out some of Dr. James Dobsons' parenting books. They have been very helpful in my home.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 2:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I have tried to sit down calmly and talk about it. I've even told him that when he hits Frankie, that it is like him hitting me, so when he does it, he needs to make sure he is doing the right thing. I've really tried almost everything but every conversation reguarding this ends up wit him saying that he just isn't going to discipline him anymore and that it up to me. I want him to have an active role in disciplining, but I don't want my son to get spanked just for wanting to be held.
    Scarlet_Delilah

Comment by Scarlet_Delilah (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think you should take him to a parenting class, or sit down with your pediatrician, or a counselor. He has his mind set and you are going to need a third party to get anything resolved I think. I second Dr. Dobson's books!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Ummm......I don't think anyone should be spanking a 15 month old baby.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I agree with Bridget, what can a 15 month old do to deserve a spanking?
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 2:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I agree with the others who said a 15 month old does not deserve a spanking. Honestly, that would be crossing a line with me.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

Answer by BridgetC140 28 minutes ago

She got a vote down for that?! Seriously?
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I know, right wildflowers? She'll probably vote this down too. It's ridiculous....just like spanking a 15 month old baby is.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2010