how do I get rid of a cough that my 1 1/2 year old has without taking meds

ok I need some help here we have no money at all and my son 1 1/2 year old has been coughing for 2 days. he coughs so hard that he throws up, so Im trying to get rid of it without meds and cuz we dont he the money to buy any meds right now. so please help me put

Asked by Ilovebee1 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• google honey and lemon for cough

Answer by lish2127 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I would start digging around the couch for lose change it is about $5 for meds.
    I would research and see if he can take honey, that helps with coughing. Lots of fluids, try a warm bath or steam up the shower to losen what he is coughing and help him to get it up. THe steam will also help him hydrate his throat so it doesn't hurt as much.

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 2:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Ok, this sounds crazy, but it works. Chop up some onions, get them hot, wrap them in a towel, and lay that on your kiddos chest. I got this from my grandpa, my dad has done it, it works.

Answer by A.Perry at 2:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Make sure you keep him hydrated... try some chamomile tea with lemon and honey in it (of course have it warm not hot). Also, steam up your bathroom REALLY GOOD, and take him in tehre for about 20 min, the steam could help break up his congestion. Other than that, you just gotta let the cold work itself out... Unless his temp. spikes, or his mucous turns green, yellow, or red, then he will need medical attention.
    Good luck!

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My girls use honey and a hymedifier might work. Plus maybe some vicks rub.

Answer by momindiana at 3:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Try giving him pomegranent juice. I'm not sure how to spell it and It is a bit pricey but it has tons of natural anioxiedents that seem to knock it right out.

Answer by ashes_leigh at 3:12 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• keep him hydrated, cut back on dairy, use a humidifier...if you don't have one, you can put a pot of water on the stove and let it simmer.

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2010