How do you get a two year old to take a nap??

He normally gets up in the morning by 8:30am so I try to lay him down by 12:oopm for his nap. But there are days when he will sit up in his bed for hours and not go to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to go to sleep?? He really needs a nap because he is such a BEAR without one and could be put to bed at 5pm for the night.

rileynkyleigh

Asked by rileynkyleigh at 1:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just lay in bed with him with your eyes shut with the lights off in a calm atmosphere for as long as it takes. And when he sits up to play and diddle around, tell him Riley (im assuming thats his name by your screen name lol) Riley you need to lay down. and make him lay back down.
    Anonymous

• I try that but it is hard to do with my daughter, especially when she wakes up. She is only going on 4 months old. I just was laying with him today and she woke him up and then he woke her up when she went back to sleep. Thanks though.
    rileynkyleigh

Answer by rileynkyleigh at 2:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I lay mine down and leave her for an hour. If she's asleep, I leave her until she wakes up. If she's still awake, I get her up, let her play for an hour and then let her try again. I found that if I just leave her until she sleeps (instead of getting her up after an hour), she wouldn't sleep at all.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I normally just feed and bathe my child. Then I put something boring TV on that won't catch his attention and he's straight to sleep. Or you can put on some classical music. My mother just takes him to a play area in the mall or somewhere until he's worn out. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

• my daughter is 21 months and i just put her in her bed with her blankey, and i say goodnight, and i close the door and walk out, and she goes right to sleep, sometimes she wont i wil hear her in there playing or she will cry, and if she does i just levae her in ther then after about 15 minutes she is asleep. I do this for naps and for bed at night, we have been doing this since she was 6 months old. get him into a routine now, beleive me it helps!!
    chanjuelsmom

Answer by chanjuelsmom at 2:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My daughter went trough a period of time when she was two where she didnt want to take a nap............I would either lay her down for "quiet time" with a movie or just let her get super tired..........eventually she started takign naps again.
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I have read that a child this age is not ready for a nap until they have been up for about 5 hours. Maybe you are just putting him down too early. Maybe try putting him down at 1.
    Jordyn1202

Answer by Jordyn1202 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I agree with the two moms above me, my DD will be 2 on Saturday and she has been going down for her nap the same time everyday since she was 8months or so *Noon* She likes to lay down with some music on. not to loud just enought to be heard by her. Sometimes she does and sometimes she dont go to sleep, but she will lay down in her room for 2hrs! Must of the time she goes to sleep. Its just all about finding somethng that works for your child, a movie and down time, Music, Also I found feeding her a filling lunch will help her sleep too. Now she sleeps from 12-3 everyday..Good Luck!
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 5, 2008