Have any of you experienced Group B strep infection?

You may not have any symptoms, but it is a bacteria in your system that can passed the bacteria on to your baby during delivery.

Teddy141

Asked by Teddy141 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Health

• Nope, but my sister had it. Here's a question for anyone who might know... If you had group B strep with one pregnancy, do they automatically assume youll have it with the next? or is it something that comes and goes?
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I had it with my kids. But I didn't want any of the meds that they wanted to give for it. Plus my doc said that unless my water was broke for a long peroid of time, I didnt need the meds. I know that you can find info online about it. And the effects that it can cause as well as the effects that the meds they pump into u can cause to baby
    Anonymous

• They usually test for Group B Strep around 36 weeks. I had it with my first pregnancy (found out at the test), and I am pregnant again, apparently, it was so severe of an infection it showed up in my urine months ago.
    With Group B Strep, they want you to have two doses of antibiotics 4 hours apart while you are in labor, if you don't get adequate treatment, then the baby is at risk and may have to stay in the hospital and be treated.
    Personally, I would rather suffer the consequences than risk passing it onto the baby.
    chelsea_renee

Answer by chelsea_renee at 4:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• rarely it can also pass through cervix and infect amino membranes and can sometimes lead to PROM because it is an infection. this happened to me i had PROM at almost 18 wks and lost my baby that way, there was an infection and the only thing that showed up was a high colonization of Group B Strep. But i had NO symptoms of an infection and didnt even know i had GBS. so needless to say im pretty freaked about it possibly happening again in a future pregnancy.
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• amniotic sac & fluid...to clarify and correct^^ not amino.
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2009