Did you have the number of children you wanted?

And, if not, why not, and do you regret it? Is there a huge difference between the dynamics of 2 kids versus more? My hubby and I have been going around and around having a 3rd child. I couldn't imagine having kids for the longest time, nor could DH. Then, we started thinking more about it and decided to try. Now, we cannot imagine life without them.
We knew we wanted to have more than 1, but DH doesn't want our DD to be a middle child (I was one) and he thinks it would be a bigger strain on our balancing home & family. I see his point, but I still think: my Mom did it, though I was with my grandmother often while growing up. I cannot imagine not having both brothers and think that maybe it would be nice to have 3. Help!

Chocolatespring

Asked by Chocolatespring at 2:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• I didn't want any, now we are having number 3... So I guess that would mean NO, we didn't have how many we wanted, but nature had different plans for us...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I wanted 4 but stopped at 3. I did have regrets at first but now I am happy with the decision.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I wanted one, but stopped at 2. My hubby wants another baby. I think we're fine with what we've been blessed with.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 3:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• No. I wanted to stop at 2 but along came my son. He was meant to be here because I could not imagine life without him.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I wanted 3 but had a miscarriage in my last pregnancy. It was a hard decision to not try again. I mourned the lack of a 3rd child for a long time. Now, years later, I see it as a blessing for not only myself and my family but for the child that never was. There's no way of predicting the future but we're having a hard enuf time keeping our heads above water with the economy and another child would only add to that strain. We're blessed to have the 2 we have.
    GumboGirl

Answer by GumboGirl at 3:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I didn't plan on having any myself (I planned on adopting one later in life). We have two of our own daughters and they are awesome kids.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• For the longest time I wanted 12. (I am not kidding, I really wanted 12) and while I was with my ex, that was fine, we were going to have 12! Of course things didn't work out with us, and we had no children together, so when I met my husband I rethought my number. He had two already, and we then decided to have one together. I got twins though the first time I got pregnant! lol. Then after they were a few months old, we decided we would have another one down the line...well she was born when the twins were 19 months old. For a long time I thought I was done...but then I started feeling like we weren't complete yet, so we tried again, and we are currently expecting our 4th in a few weeks. So really we have 6 all together, and that is half of what I originally wanted, so I am good now!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I wanted 3 because when I was growing up I only had one sister and we were nothing alike, and didn't get along at all. I remember wishing I had more siblings. Well, we just had our third and I had my tubes tied so unless that ends up failing, yes, I had the amount I wanted.
    Alisha88

Answer by Alisha88 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I always knew that I wanted children and like a fool thought that seven would be a great number. After my first child just the pregnancy and delivery alone made me realize that I wasn't not having seven children. I don't like being pregnant even though I've had effortless pregnancies and deliveries. However, DH and I decided we at least wanted one more, so we tried and we had a girl. (We had a boy first) I knew without a doubt that I was done, or so I thought. After talking with DH I could see he wanted three really bad, so I thought about it and I started to come around. I am now pregnant with my third and we're happy with that. We don't want any more.

The transition from 1-2 wasn't hard, just exhausting. One more child to care for put a little bit of a strain on us, but we didn't find it difficult to manage. I went into it thinking "I can handle this, I will figure it out" and I did. I'm doing the same with number 3.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I wanted 3 or 4 and have one. I lost my first and have one amazing little guy. But I really, REALLY want another. It won't happen though. So I am very blessed with my one.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 12:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2010