Did you know...

the bolt of lightning that people fear for angering God is actually stolen from Greek mythology? Its actually what Zeus used to do when he was displeased.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Are you telling me that lightening bolts do not come from the fingertips of an angry god? The thunder isn't really him yelling at me? I suppose next you'll try to convince me that those puffy clouds up there aren't his farts, either. . .

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Never thought God would do that to me :-)
    God was not angry with Job in that book .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Not sure where this came from, but yeah, I've known about Zeus's thunderbolt since middle school literature.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• And???
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yes I agree that it is also present in mythology. But it's also in the Bible. The Book of Job-it's a fairly short book-and very interesting. Since reading it I have never been in a thunder storm without thinking Man is He pissed off! I don't have the exact verses right here with me-but it says the thunder is God's voice- and the lightening is from his fingertips-aimed at what is pissing him off!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• " I don't have the exact verses right here with me-but it says the thunder is God's voice- and the lightening is from his fingertips-aimed at what is pissing him off! "

It makes sense that man would associate it with god back when the bible was written. As they did not know the real cause of it yet. Just as many things were associated with a god before true understanding.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• The Romans stole many many things from the Greeks ..... including most of their Gods
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 4:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't have the exact verses right here with me-but it says the thunder is God's voice- and the lightening is from his fingertips

Job Chapter 35 Verses 4-12

I wouldn't use the word "stolen". I was a little girl and knew nothing about Greek Mythology and I thought when it rained God was sad, when it thundered he was yelling, and the lighting was his wrath, and so on. I was not taught this, it's just what I believed
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yeah, but I've never known anyone to actually have that fear, generally it's more of a cartoon thing...

But yes, I knew that.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• why the attitudes? Its just a fun question, ladies. sheesh... lol
    ease up
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2010