Would you feel "one-upped"?

If you brought out your grill and kiddy pool, and then within the next few days your neighbors brought out theirs (your grill is charcoal, theirs is gas...and their pool was twice the size of yours) would you feel one-upped? What if you knew that they bought their items after you brought yours out into your yard?

I ask because our neighbors brought out their grill and pool yesterday and we ended up going yesterday to buy a grill. Hubby won't buy a kiddy pool (which we have been planning on buying 4th of July weekend for MONTHS) because the one we like is twice the size of the neighbors and he's afraid they're going to feel like we're trying to compete with them.

If you were our neighbors how would you feel? We don't want to do anything to make them uncomfortable because we want to start working on a friendship with them!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Relationships

• Keeping up with the Jones's seems to be the american way. But I agree with the rest, Who the hell cares what the neighbors think? If they think you one up'd them, then it shows how petty and insecure they are. Your neighbors dont pay your bills so who cares what they think. Invite them over for a BBQ pool party when you get it all set up.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• nope wouldnt feel that way.....your buying a grill and pool that fits your families needs ...not the neighbors...just as they bought what fit their needs or budget...
    Queenb03

Answer by Queenb03 at 11:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I would do what you wanted to do. Thats the problem you care about what people think too much.
    perfectkitten

Answer by perfectkitten at 11:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• (This is the OP)
    I don't really care, but my husband is worrying his butt off. I had a huge explanation typed up in my post about how I told him to stop caring so much - but my question was over 1,000 characters so it wouldn't let me post it lol. To me we're just buying it now because we had said we would on the 4th, but he's so afraid we're going to piss off the neighbors.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I would feel one upped. Kinda. But you know what? It's your pool your grill, so what! Get what your family wants and enjoy it!
    SarahK2007

Answer by SarahK2007 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• lmao! I'm sorry but this is kinda funny to me. It's nice of him to feel that way ya know but at the same time if you need a new car are you gonna buy one a little less then theres? Don't not buy things you want or need because your neighbors might think you one upped them. If you are friends with them and feel they might get the wrong idea tell them nice things about something they have or how good charcoal burgers are but its easier with gas??
    cdogdevon

Answer by cdogdevon at 12:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Who cares!!! Does your grill cook? Does your pool hold water? Why does it matter which is "Better" by whose standards. If you bought yours for 1/2 the price and it does the same things ..i think yours are better!!!
    Anonymous

• no, i do not care what others have or need because our family is so different and unique (as is theirs). some may look at our home and say it is so tiny and old fashioned. someone homeless might say it is a mansion. we say it is perfect for us.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Who cares? As long as YOU like what you have. Maybe you guys are looking to deeply at it, even if they are trying to one up you guys should it be a big deal? There are more important things to worry about than who has the better material objects. As long as you're all happy and healthy thats all that matters.
    Babs310

Answer by Babs310 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I agree with everyone else. Dont short yourselves because you're afraid of making someone feel uncomfortable. I'd tell my hubby to get over it.... Or if the neighbors do feel that way, they need to get over it. Realisticly though, they probably don't feel that way at all.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 12:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2008