Spin Off question...What human resource issues do the "enhanced security techniques" pose for private businesses.

"you gave up your rights when you bought your plane ticket."

This nauseating statement has been printed on cm dozens of times. What about the people who have an HR department that makes their travel arrangements for work? Should they have to give up their jobs to maintain their rights?

And does the HR dept then face liability suits if the TSA acts inappropriately?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 3:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• clappingGood question..you know I'm against the security measures

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Great question! I am going to sit back with my popcorn and watch the answers :)
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• popcorn

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:38 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Excellent question. If you are flying for work you are technically "on the job" and any damages/injuries would be the liability of the employer. The arguement that they accepted this when they "chose" to fly doesn't hold water. My husband flies frequently for his job, he has no choice...he is military.

I think this might also cause hiring issues. I wouldn't take a job that would require me to fly a lot. Who wants to be subjected to a sexual assault or porn for their job?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Precisely. People fly for reasons other than pleasure. Last time I flew I was 6 months pregnant and headed to my grandmother's funeral. I can't imagine being felt up on top of all the other emotions I had. My husband and father both travel for business. They're told where and when they are to travel. They could refuse and be unemployed if they wanted I guess.

To actually answer youir question and get off my soap box, I think it's a possible liablility.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 4:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Here's the thing ... this isn't like we're talking about a private business doing something we don't like, and we can just go to a different business who is selling the same thing and not doing something shady. THIS IS THE GOVERNMENT who is violating our rights. The government DOES NOT HAVE THE AUTHORITY to violate our rights for ANY reason!!! That is what the Constitution is ALL about. The founders wrote that document (and the Bill of Rights) so that the government could not violate the rights of the people. TSA is a government entity ... they have no authority to command me to show them my naked body, or allow them to touch me AT ALL without a court-ordered warrant and a charge of a crime. We are innocent until proven guilty, NOT guilty until TSA proves us innocent.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• If they don't like it, they can hop on a train or elect to have the full body scan x-ray. What about my right to safety when I get on that plane. I do NOT feel comfortable sitting on a plane with someone who has issues with security because I don't want my life to be at risk because someone wasn't willing to be checked by someone whose job it is to make sure that everyone doesn't have any sort of weapon on board.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 7:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• What about my right to safety when I get on that plane. I do NOT feel comfortable sitting on a plane with someone who has issues with security because I don't want my life to be at risk because someone wasn't willing to be checked by someone whose job it is to make sure that everyone doesn't have any sort of weapon on board.

You'll be much happier once you realize that this "security" isn't actually making you safer. The difference is the people upset about these measures have already figured that out, and you haven't gotten there yet.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• momofone..lot's of people don't have the luxury of choosing how they travel. My military hubby flies to DC all the time..from Oregon. How are these security measures going to protect you from the guy with the bomb up his azz or the bomb he has swallowed? How are they going to protect you from radioactive material or a biological agent? They won't. Do you know what will protect you? A military trained dog.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I do NOT feel comfortable sitting on a plane with someone who has issues with security because I don't want my life to be at risk because someone wasn't willing to be checked by someone whose job it is to make sure that everyone doesn't have any sort of weapon on board.

***

You DO realize that CAIR (Council on American Islamic Relations) has issued a press release INSTRUCTING Muslim women on how they can AVOID the scanners AND the enhanced pat down, right?!

CAIR LINK (scroll down to the bulleted lists)

If they can invoke their "religious exemptions" then why can't I do the same?!  How would YOU feel about sitting next to a Muslim woman wearing a hijab KNOWING she did not have to be subjected to the same full body scan or enhanced pat down that you did?!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2010