What should I expect with group B strep infection after my baby is born?

Group B strep infection is caused by a type of streptococcal bacteria. It can be passed on to my baby during delivery. I know that it can cause seriouse health problems of my newborn, but, like what type health problems?

Teddy141

Asked by Teddy141 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Respiratory problems, I believe, and potentially death. Are you still pregnant? If so, as long as you are treated with iv antibiotics prior to delivery, your baby should be just fine.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• They will treat you when you go into labor with antibiotics before the baby is born and everything should be fine. If it should happen that you cannot be treated in time then they will just keep you and the baby longer in the hospital to watch for infection. If they notice any symptoms of infection they will put the baby on IV antibiotics.
    A baby could get menengitis, sepsis, pneumonia or if it's really bad death.... BUT don't worry about it!!!! Many women have this and they have healthy babys.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• If you tested positive like I did, then they will treat you with heavy doses of antibiotics during labor. it's only if you're not treated that you can experience things like death.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• YOu should have nothing to worry about. They will give you IV antibiotics when you go into labor, and that will take care of everything. It is bad if they don't know you have it, but since you were tested they will prevent it from being spread to your baby.
    hutch2579

Answer by hutch2579 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I had it and was treating with IV antibiotics and my daughter (now almost three) is perfectly fine!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I had it and didn't know it with my first son (now 13.) They didn't test for it back then, or at least my Doc didn't... My son was born with pneumonia and almost died. It is serious. Now with my last one I was tested and found out I had it and was given antibiotics and had a very healthy lil boy. He is now 11 months and no worries :) Good Luck
    JulesInCa

Answer by JulesInCa at 4:20 AM on Nov. 5, 2008