question for real christmas trees

I never had one, but last year we threw out our fake christmas tree because it was starting to fall apart so this year we didn't buy a new one because I wanted to try a real one. How often do you have to water them and when can I set one up? I don't want it to die before christmas lol

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Holidays

• I water mine every morning and then I check on it before I go to bed and typically add a little more.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 3:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I check eveyday, and I put it up the first saturday of december. I would like to put it up around the 10th or so, but dh likes it early. IF you get a decent one to start with(certain types last longer) with no needles falling off, it will last you !
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• We usually put ours up shortly after T.day. When we set it up, we "water" it with straight 7-UP. Then we check it daily and if it needs water we use a mixture of half water and half 7-UP. Our tree looks great until we take it down after New Years.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 6:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• We usually put ours up shortly after T.day. When we set it up, we "water" it with straight 7-UP. Then we check it daily and if it needs water we use a mixture of half water and half 7-UP. Our tree looks great until we take it down after New Years

Half 7 up???
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yeah, I know, it sounds weird. When you put it up, don't use water....fill the base with 7-UP....then everytime you water it after that use a mix of half water and half 7-UP. (for instance, if it is going to need 2 cups of liquid....you would put 1 cup of water in a container and add 1 cup of 7-UP to it and use that mixture to water the tree) It does work even though we have a friend that always teases us about giving our Xmas tree 7-UP and using Coke to cook a roast....LOL
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• lol...I will have to try that. Now coke I can see lol. Everyone makes fun of me because when I put a ham in the oven i use a little brown sugar and then I add some coke over the top of it, but that is how my grandma told me to cook it lol
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• We usually get our Christmas tree the first week of December, we cut our tree down ourselves so we know that it is fresh and we keep it up till just after New Years.I water it everyday.
    Sunflower722

Answer by Sunflower722 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• We have tried every trick and outbreak trees end up looking sad by x-mas day dry as a bone and ornemants falling off- google search how to keep real tree alive - gooduck!!!
    3lilcoconuts

Answer by 3lilcoconuts at 10:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• @ OP, that ham sounds yummy!!! We use a bit of brown sugar....will have to try adding a lil coke next time...
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:43 PM on Nov. 20, 2010