So..

I went into the hospital contracting every 2 minutes, about 2 days ago. They have me on all this medication now, to stop my contractions (though I'm not really swallowing them). I'm 35 weeks and the nurses and doctors keep telling me I'm stupid for even considering having him this early. In my opinion if he's ready, then he's ready, why stop him. Their finally discharging me today, cause I told them I wasn't having anymore contractions.

They said I'm on bed rest, and no sex. So that he won't come early..
However, I don't think I'm going to listen >_<

Anyone else experience this? Or think I'm doing the right thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i agree with you, if he is going to come, he is going to come. Technology these days is really a great thing when babies are born. My niece was born 24 weeks and i know that is VERY early but she is perfectly fine...
    i would do the EXACT same thing you are doing. r u exactly 35 weeks or a few days also???
    Anonymous

• You are not doing the right thing. Babies are born prematurely all the time, and that doesn't mean they are ready. Many of them suffer major health problems, require lengthy hospitalizations, and even die. At 35 weeks, your baby ought to be pretty strong and well developed, but he is still premature. His little lungs may not be able to function without help yet. Your baby stands the best shot of tolerating birth with few or no complications if you can hold in until at least 37 weeks. Please take your doctor's advise.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I'm 35 weeks and 4 days.
    Anonymous

• i think you are doing the right thing!if he is ready to come then let him!36 weeks is considered full term anyway and forcing him to stay in there could harm him more than help him!!
    mommydabbs

Answer by mommydabbs at 2:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• IDK if this fits your question, but I was induced w/ both of my dd's @ 38 wks. The dr. thought they were each going to be close to 9 lbs. and I wasn't sure if I would be able to handle it and was terrified of a c-section. And it turned out that they were each 7 lbs. 8 oz. But they did a final ultrasound and all the other tests (bloodwork, etc.) to make sure that their lungs were developed enough and everything else was ok which it was.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• full term is 40 wks..not 36..but i was told before 36 wks their little lungs arent fully developed and may have to stay in the nicu for a few days to help them breathe.. i would atleast wait till 36 wks..and i would stay on bed rest and wouldnt have sex..they're thinking of whats in the best interest for your baby...im not gonna sit here and bash you and say youre a complete idiot for doing what you want to do, but just know that becuase of your decision, your baby could have to stay in the nicu if not fully developed...or your baby could come out just fine..or your baby could wait on come when they think its right for him to come naturally! good luck! and i hope all goes well
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• depends on how big the baby is and if his lungs are ready. i know u r probably ready i am only 34 weeks but i am sooooo ready for the baby but even a week or a few days in the womb helps his lungs develop more! u might want to listen to ur doctors advice even if u dont want to, but if hes gonna come he is. just remember preemies have more health problems even years down the line like cavities in all their teeth and they could be small even into adulthood try to hold on for longer
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• keep him in there as long as you can. get as close the due date as possible. A few weeks more of discomfort and sacrifice could mean a lifetime of advantages for your child.
    bliss4mom

Answer by bliss4mom at 4:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I just watched my neighbors twins born three months early and nearly die and then my friends son born 6 weeks early and he was in NICU for weeks! I think you are being selfish! Just because you think he is ready doesnt mean that he is.......he will have long road ahead of him just to stay alive!..............
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2008